1 (edited by switch6343 2023-09-22 21:29:04)

Topic: Connect ADI-2 Pro FS R to poweramp and active subwoofer

My plan is to use my ADI-2 Pro FS R as pre-amplifier to connect:

the Stereo XLR jacks on the RME DAC (L+R) with the Stereo XLR jacks on my power amplifier. Each XLR cable has a Female XLR plug and a Male XLR Plug on each end. This connection is intended to drive my Stereo Main Speakers.

the Main Outputs 1/2 TRS (1/4" = 6.3 mm) Line-Out L+R (female) jacks (analog outputs) with my Active Subwoofer with
      LFE Input RCA (female) jack

I have been unable to find a corresponding Y-cable with 2 x 6.35 mm (1/4") TRS plugs and 1 x RCA plug to connect the 2 x 6.35 mm (1/4") TRS output jacks on the rear of my RME DAC to 1 x LFE RCA input jack on my Subwoofer.

Does anyone know a solution to connect the RME DAC Main Outputs 1/2 TRS jacks <> Active Subwoofer with LFE RCA input jack?

I look forward to your feedback.

Kind regards,
      switch6343

2 (edited by waedi 2023-09-22 23:34:06)

Re: Connect ADI-2 Pro FS R to poweramp and active subwoofer

This LFE input is not for stereo line output of any device. You have to connect to a device with LFE output (sub-out) for example a Surroundreceiver.
      The Y-cable you have asked doesn't exist.
      If you have prepared the signal on these outputs for the LFE input by using extreme EQ, then
      you can make a cable with these adapters :

1 x https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfy_03_ecc.htm
      2 x https://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_1820_adapter.htm
      1 x https://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_1827_adapter.htm
      and for making it longer
      1 x https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cpds2_cc.htm

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-23 00:18:05)

switch6343 wrote:

…Does anyone know a solution to connect the RME DAC Main Outputs 1/2 TRS jacks <> Active Subwoofer with LFE RCA input jack?

For more detailed advice, would you please tell the exact model of your subwoofer and maybe the main speakers?

Dear Waedi,

you're absolutely right, the LFE input is NOT for Stereo output. The LFE input on my Active Subwoofer was previously connected to the separate dedicated Subwoofder R+L analog CINCH outputs of my previous, now defect, integrated amplifier. Sorry for the confusion.

So, I now plan to connect the R+L Main Outputs 1/2 TRS 6.3 mm jacks on the RME DAC to the R+L CINCH Inputs on my Active Subwoofer. I most probably found the correct cable for my purpose on this site: https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/pr … el-5872582

However, these are 6.3 mm TR (Mono) plugs, as opposed to 6.3 mm TRS plugs. The RME DAC Manual refers to R+L TRS Main Output 1/2 only.

Please note that I could not find a similar cable on the Thomann.de site.

Please advise if the TR (mono) instead of TRS plugs are suitable for my purpose. And should you by chance know a superior similar cable from another brand, I would be much grateful to learn which is "the best".

I very much appreciate your below expert feedback.

I look forward hearing from you again.

Kind regards,

switch6343

Dear KaiS,

My active subwoofer is a Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra.

I already have decided which Power Amp I am going to buy and connect to my RME-DAC pre-amp. It will be HEGEL H20.

I also have decided WHICH speakers I am going to buy: Magnepan MG 1.7i.

So, all my deliberations in this thread are part of my project for acquiring and setting up some new Audio equipment.

Hope this information finds you well.

Kind regards,

switch6343

The mono-jack cable is fine.
      My favorite brand is Cordial for home use, never had an issue.
      The best cable is that one with correct wiring and in good shape.
      The salesman can tell you a lot more about the best cable and then you end up with overpriced stuff you don't need.
      Digitec and Thomann are good for me because they take it back if it is not working.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-23 16:22:28)

I‘d follow the suggestions in the Velodyne SPL1200 manual.
      Using the Subwoofer’s built in 2-way crossover is the best way to get a homogeneous interaction of mains and sub.

Not using this Velodyne feature would leave you with phase issues in the crossover region between mains and sub.

Velodyne SPL1200 manual:
      https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/pdf/s … Manual.pdf

4)LINE OUTPUT Connect these jacks to the LINE IN amp input to use the SPL-Ultra subwoofer’s internal high pass crossover. See below for a more detailed explanation of this crossover.

(5)LINE INPUT/LFE Input Connect these jacks to the LINE OUT preamp output, …

The cables you need:

ADI-2 to sub: TS to RCA, connected to ADI-2 Pro‘s TRS/TS rear outputs.
      Sub to main amp: RCA to RCA.

I agree with @waedi:

Pro Audio brands like Cordial or Sommer Cable offer the best quality, while not costing a fortune - opposed to overpriced or low quality Hifi products.

8 (edited by switch6343 2023-09-23 06:44:30)

waedi, thanks for mentioning Cordial.

I found several brands which offer twinsets in various lengths of cable with RCA/CINCH male plug <> TR 6.3 mm male plug.

I decided and already ordered a 3.0 m twinset from the brand Cordial, which is reputable German company. Price/benefit excellent. Most important features: both RCA/CINCH plugs as well as the TR 6.3 mm plugs are gold plated and manufactured by the very reputable  German manufacturer NEUTRIK.

A great many thanks for your excellent advise. You avoided me to get lost in that forest of offerings in cables and plugs and enabled me to quickly get on the right track.

Have a great weekend.

9 (edited by switch6343 2023-09-23 07:03:21)

KaiS,

a great many thanks for your additional contribution regarding the Velodyne SPL-1200 active subwoofer. So, we're all in line with what waedi advised and you confirmed.

I very much appreciate your efforts to download and check the manual of the Velodyne SPL-1200 active subwoofer's specification with regard to Line Input vs LFE input.

So, I ordered the cables as you advised of Cordial. I didn't think of Sommer, although I have a Sommer twinset with XLR male <> XLR female cables. Excellent brand.

Always much appreciate your expert advise.

Have a great weekend.

Dear KaiS;

I have all day thought of your advise which cables I would need:

ADI-2 to sub: TS to RCA, connected to ADI-2 Pro‘s TRS/TS rear outputs.
      Sub to main amp: RCA to RCA.
      UNQUOTE

However I only now fully understand what you had proposed:
      1. connect the RME DAC's Main Line 1/2 OUT (on the rear) TS 6.35 mm R+L <> Velodyne's RCA/CINCH Line-IN R+L
      2. connect Velodyne's RCA/CINCH Line-OUT R+L <> Hegel H20's RCA/CINCH Line-IN R+L

I trust that my above verbatim description represents your proposed connection setup, with the advantage that your setup would avoid phasing problems, as the built-in crossover of the Velodyne exepectedly would avoid such phasing problems.

My plan was:
      1. connect the RME DAC's Main Line 1/2 OUT (on the rear) TS 6.35 mm R+L <> Velodyne's RCA/CINCH Line-IN R+L (identical to your proposition)
      2. connect the RME DAC's XLR Main Line 1/2 OUT (on the rear) R+L <> Hegel H20's XLR Line-IN R+L.

My understanding is that in de RME DAC the settings for each of the Main Line 1/2 OUT XLR R+L AND for the Main Line 1/2 OUT RCA/CINCH R+L can be separately and independently configured, i.e. also for crossover, slope in dB/Octave, phasing etc.

The latter, my plan, would allow to exploit the plethora of sophisticated setting options of the RME DAC, also with regard to crossover settings and phasing. Probably this could be  a pretty time consuming process. Hopefully the very new ADI-2 Remote desktop application could possibly make this process much less time consuming and much more user friendly

I assume that with your proposed setup, the Velodyne's phasing can be changed (0, 90, 180, 270) as required, which is expectely not possible under my planned setup.

I wanted to share with you my deliberations, only after I fully grasped what your proposal encompassed. You may wish to share your opinion on my above conclusions and understanding of this particular theme. I would much appreciate.

Kind regards,
      switch6343

11 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-24 06:59:31)

switch6343 wrote:

…My plan was:
      1. connect the RME DAC's Main Line 1/2 OUT (on the rear) TS 6.35 mm R+L <> Velodyne's RCA/CINCH Line-IN R+L (identical to your proposition)
      2. connect the RME DAC's XLR Main Line 1/2 OUT (on the rear) R+L <> Hegel H20's XLR Line-IN R+L.

My understanding is that in de RME DAC the settings for each of the Main Line 1/2 OUT XLR R+L AND for the Main Line 1/2 OUT RCA/CINCH R+L can be separately and independently configured, i.e. also for crossover, slope in dB/Octave, phasing etc.

ADI-2 Pro has non of these features, XLRs and rear TRSs carry the same signal and can‘t be set different in any way.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE can handle XLRs and rear TRSs separate, but that‘s all.

switch6343 wrote:

The latter, my plan, would allow to exploit the plethora of sophisticated setting options of the RME DAC, also with regard to crossover settings and phasing. Probably this could be  a pretty time consuming process. Hopefully the very new ADI-2 Remote desktop application could possibly make this process much less time consuming and much more user friendly…

ADI-2 Pro isn‘t offering the features that a dedicated crossover needs, it‘s not meant to be one.

The Velodyne is, has everything needed for a perfect crossover and on top adds an automatic setup features using a measurement mic - hard to beat.

ADI-2’s strengths lie elsewhere, acting as the central unit of your setup.
      It can help with global EQ if needed, a Loudness function that makes listening at low volumes more fun etc. ect.
      Using the EQs of channel 1/2 and 3/4 as crossover would result in a very basic one.

switch6343 wrote:

I assume that with your proposed setup, the Velodyne's phasing can be changed (0, 90, 180, 270) as required, which is expectely not possible under my planned setup.

The Velodyne does it in a sophisticated way, use it, it‘s the right tool for the job.

The Maggies are not made for handling sub frequencies, so they urgently need a crossover and subwoofer support, this way they sound absolutely great.

But- a badly matched crossover/sub would kills a lot of these advantages, and setting up a sub/main system isn‘t that simple, almost impossible without measurement tools.

KaiS, a great many thanks for your feedback, excellent. It cleared  some misunderstanding on my part and above all cleared some wrong information I retrieved from other sources, just can't remember which anymore, possibly forum threads?

Much appreciated that you shone some light on the outstanding issues with my plan.

Your proposition is the way to go. Thanks.

13 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-24 07:57:59)

switch6343 wrote:

… cleared some wrong information I retrieved from other sources, just can't remember which anymore, possibly forum threads

The information might even origin from here.

As with any filter, it’s possible to use the EQs of ADI-2 Pro’s channels 1/2 and 3/4 as crossover.
      It would result in a very basic one, lacking a lot of specialized options.

This makes sense if one doesn‘t have such a sophisticated crossover at hand, like the one the Velodyne offers.

To name a few options needed:
      A perfect time and phase alignment e.g. is basic to achieve an impactful, punchy bass.
      Individual delay on each crossover path helps with that.
      Variable filter slopes are needed to get the best out of each speaker, the Maggies e.g don’t need steep filtering with it’s negative side effects on impulse response, just a touch.

Super, you're the best.

I found the Remote of my Velodyne Subwoofer again as well as the Calibration microphone! Also replaced the battery today of the Remote. All part of project planning.

I also added notes in the printed version of the  Manual of the Velodyne, so as to ensure that I will be implementing the connections setup as per your recommendation.

I am confident now to implement my hardware setup.

you carry a wealth of knowledge, chapeau!