1 (edited by jansenwins 2023-09-23 14:53:07)

Topic: I can't get direct monitoring...

Hello and thanks in advance.  I have a Babyface Pro FS with Total Mix...new setup for me.  I use Studio One Pro version 6 as my DAW.  I'm trying to record lead vocals with 0 latency so I'm preferring to direct monitor.  I did NOT activate the monitor button in S1.  What setting do I need to change in Total Mix to get direct monitoring?  With the monitoring button off in my DAW, I hear no sound coming through my headphones.  As soon as I turn the button on I have good sound but with enough latency that I can't effectively lay down my vocal.  Please help...apologies...I'm a total noob with Total Mix and find it hard to understand and work with.

Re: I can't get direct monitoring...

Hi and welcome!
In TotalMix, make sure you have the 'submix' view active (blue area on the right). Now click on the hardware output channel strip for the headphones, so either AN 3/4 or, if assigned, Main or Phones... Now raise up the fader of the hardware input channel where your mic is plugged in.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Studio One Pro supports ASIO Direct Monitoring. You either haven't activated the correct option for this to work, or are not using the ASIO driver. No need to tinker with TM FX...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

... so the question now is: jansenwins, do you use macOS or Windows?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I use Windows 11.

oli77sch wrote:

... so the question now is: jansenwins, do you use macOS or Windows?

I use Cubase but I don’t have direct monitoring enabled in it. I prefer to use TotalMix. Just click on the output in TotalMix you want to hear direct through and then turn up the slider for the vocal mic. The key is clicking on the output you want to monitor through. So if you want it to be headphones then click on the headphone output and turn up the mic slider

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

7 (edited by waedi 2023-09-23 23:24:35)

In Studio One - Preferences - Audio Setup - Processing - Dropout Protection - not minimum !
This is a second buffersize setting inside Studio One for the playback processing. Try something between.
If it's set to maximum you will have a big delay.
And then you have to look at the master output bus at the bottom there is a green Z symbol click it to enable Low-Latency-Monitoring ! That's the trick !
https://i.ibb.co/pWFkMkK/Bildschirmfoto-2023-09-24-um-00-22-14.png

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you all for the responses...very much appreciated.  I am now monitoring latency free...and, thanks to the help given here, I can do it 2 different ways.  I especially like the direct monitoring through Total Mix for my lead vocals....with the ability to add some reverb and echo to enhance my performance without recording those effects.  Appreciate you all.