Topic: ARC USB Switching Standalone and PC Mode

Hi
I‘m intressted in buying a UCX II and an ARC usb as an interface/monitor controller and i have one last Question:
If i plug in the arc to the dedicated usb port of the ucx ii, will it switch automatically from standalone mode (with this fixed controlling options) to total mix control (where you can customise almost everything) as soon as its connected to my mac and vice versa?☺️
will it perform this switching seemlessly? or have i to plug it in a usb port of my mac for this additional functions?

thanks a lot!

2 (edited by waedi 2023-09-27 08:28:00)

Re: ARC USB Switching Standalone and PC Mode

the ARC is for computer and on the backside of the UCX ll is no dedicated USB port other than for connecting the interface to the computer and the other USB socket is for DUREC USB-stick.
If you plug an ARC to the UCX nothing will happen.
Other interfaces UFX ll and UFX lll and UFX+ have a USB socket for remote where the ARC can work directly.
Not the UCX ll.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

the other USB socket is for DUREC USB-stick.
If you plug an ARC to the UCX nothing will happen.

According to RME's official info, this is not true.

DURec is an integrated digital recorder for all inputs and outputs directly to USB memory devices via the rear USB port.[...] This USB port can alternatively be used for direct connection of RME’s optional ARC USB remote control.

https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-ucx-ii.html

4 (edited by waedi 2023-09-27 08:47:25)

OK
I got this from the user manual of the ARC :
Instead of being connected to a computer the ARC USB can also be connected directly to the UFX II and UFX+, which currently are the only RME interfaces having an internal USB 1.1 host with matching connector, to communicate with the ARC USB.

From the user manual of the UCX ll :
The Fireface UCX II operates in two different modes: driver-based USB2 and Class Compliant.

It has no standalone-mode.
For having the ARC working connected to the UCX ll the unit has to be connected to a computer with Totalmix running.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by oli77sch 2023-09-27 09:29:45)

Of course UCX II has standalone mode and the USB-A port is also meant for the ARC.
https://i.ibb.co/mqcjQGZ/983-DDABD-D843-41-DE-A410-3-BC996-D74-E77.jpg

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

6 (edited by oli77sch 2023-09-27 09:48:40)

waedi wrote:

OK
I got this from the user manual of the ARC :
Instead of being connected to a computer the ARC USB can also be connected directly to the UFX II and UFX+, which currently are the only RME interfaces having an internal USB 1.1 host with matching connector, to communicate with the ARC USB.

The manual dates from 2016, the UCX II didn’t yet exist…

waedi wrote:

From the user manual of the UCX ll :
The Fireface UCX II operates in two different modes: driver-based USB2 and Class Compliant.

Yes, this is indeed a confusing information here. The standalone mode has its own chapter in the UCX II manual. That’s different to other product manuals where class compliant and standalone modes are described in the same chapter.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks for your answers! I was already quite sure about the standalone functionality of the ucx ll. The ARC USB should also be compatible to this device. My only question is how it behaves, when i'm connecting/disconnecting my computer, while the ARC is plugged to the UCX II.

If i interpret this part of the UCX ll Manual correctly, it will switch automatically from Standalone mode to online mode, when a comupter is connected (or coming back from sleep state).

https://i.ibb.co/F4MtF1m/Screenshot-2023-09-27-at-10-54-56.png
Does anyone have expirience with this behaviour?

Thanks a lot!