Topic: AES->SPDIF->Virus TI2 (clocking?)

This might be a unique use case..

I'm using a pair of XLR->RCA cables (extended by 25 foot XLRs) to get the SPDIF out of my Virus TI2 into the UFX.
I'm setting the Virus to lock to incoming clock. And I've set the UFX to 'consumer' AES.   

It WORKS.   I can hold a low sine wave for a while without hearing any clicks/pops/issues.

My problem... The blue AES light on the UFX front panel flashes continuously.

I'm not locking the UFX to the Virus but if the Virus isn't happy with what it's receiving from the UFX, does it make sense that what's coming INTO the UFX is dirty?

I hope my 'question' is in there somewhere... is this signal from the Virus bad because it's not handling the (converted) signal out of the UFX?

Re: AES->SPDIF->Virus TI2 (clocking?)

The UFX has to be clock-mode "internal", is this the case ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I'm away from the unit right now but I'm pretty sure this is the case, yes.

I regularly use two 8 channel ADAT converters that also clock off the UFX.

One thing I should have mentioned?  When I set the Virus to lock to incoming clock, for a split second it says there's a problem with the SPDIF.. but it goes away immediately and doesn't show again.

Maybe an issue with the cables / length. Are these XLR cables 'real' AES ones?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I think you're on the right track.  No, it's just standard XLR and XLR-RCA cabling.   

If the Virus isn't as 'robust' as the RME, I can imagine that it's struggling to lock through these standard XLR cables.

Part of my point was;  If the Virus is struggling to clock, would it make sense then if the signal coming IN to the RME is funky?
But because it's RME, it still works?

Like I said, I don't hear any glitching..   so does it matter? 

If I can easily find a proper AES cable to borrow, I might test this theory.

If you use the Virus as processing effect unit, audio comes in and goes out after processing then it will deliver artifacts glitches or stuttering or crickle-crackle when the clock fails to sync.
If the Virus only plays music, then it will deliver clean sound anyway.
For the cabling below 8m the XLR shielded cables shouldn't be a problem.
AES is very powerfull, but if you can test, do it.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Oh good point.. I'll try monitoring thru the Virus.  Thanks.

I'm really not specialized in such things, AES cable connections and such. I just did some online reading. Some people tell the first thing which would suffer is ... the clock signal! I also assume the 25 feet shouldn't be an issue in general. Maybe it's the combination of using RCA to XLR and added extension, not being 110 Ohm AES cables?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2