Topic: Getting CPU Overloads

New install.  Mac studio M2 running protools studio.  I have an old Fireface UFX.  Firmware: v361, Driver: v3.28B.  Audio cuts out randomly when playing from the Music App.  I get CPU overloads in Protools when the CPU never goes above 1%.  Its a test project with one stereo track and no plugins.  I just bought this used and so far its been a nightmare.  I need this to coexist with my SSL BigSix (currently powered off).  Looking for any help.  Thanks, John

Mac Studio M2 Ultra -Sonoma 14.0 - SSL Big Six - RME Fireface UFX

Re: Getting CPU Overloads

Updating the OS to Sonoma will fix the Music App dropout on USB issue. Sorry, no idea why Pro Tools is failing so badly.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Updating the OS to Sonoma will fix the Music App dropout on USB issue.

Isn't that related to 'driverkit' drivers v4.0x anyway? OP has kext drivers v3.28B.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

From what I have gathered, both drivers are affected by the USB dropout issue, DriverKit had worse trouble.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff.  I upgraded to Sonoma and both problems disappeared.  Much appreciated!!

Wonderful !
How is the CPU metering doing in ProTools now ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

With my test project (one stereo track) the CPU is still 1%.  With a full multi track project (around 30 tracks) with a few plugins and inserts the CPU peaks a few times at 6%.  Average is probably 4 to 5%.