1 (edited by sn 2023-10-08 12:38:11)

Topic: Adding inputs at 192khz - ADAT vs. aggregate device (macOS)

Hi, sorry for the basic questions.Reading the manual for UCX II I'm a bit confused.

I operate at 192khz for low-latency VSTi playback. Does this restrict my options in terms of expansion?

I have lying around: an Apollo Twin Duo, and some Scarlett 2i4s. Would be nice to use these: is creating an aggregate device something people have success with, even cross-manufacturer?

Of course if there is an existing thread often referenced for this, a link to that is appreciated too, thank you!

2 (edited by waedi 2023-10-08 07:30:11)

Re: Adding inputs at 192khz - ADAT vs. aggregate device (macOS)

You want to expand the inputs and outputs of the Mac computer, thats no problem with aggregate device when each interface works correctly alone with their drivers.
At 192 kHz the restriction is to the Adat connection only.
Instead of 8 channels at up to 48kHz, it provides only 2 channels at 192kHz, inputs and outputs. For adding an Adat device to the UCX ll this would be a restriction .
In your case when all units are connected to the computer with USB, all analog inputs and outputs are available in the DAW.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

To make it clear what waedi meant....

You may connect Apollo Twin Duo or Scarlett 2i4s to UCX II using ADAT. That way you would have Apollo/Scarlet in TotalMix.

4 (edited by sn 2023-10-08 12:16:19)

waedi I think I follow. I will try an aggregate device, hoping it does not affect performance.

Besides aggregating, unfortunately neither of my other devices has ADAT out.

For my own understanding, not my actual use... 192khz is a must for me:
Is RCA out > S/PDIF In a thing at 44.1/48khz? It seems the fact that RCA is unbalanced is an issue unless converted somehow?

And when does sample rate discrepancy create a clock sync issue? I thought I read this, but is that simply why S/PDIF and AES are automatically disabled?

Any device suggestions is good, too, (preferably less than $400).
I was looking at the Behringer ADA8000 but I only really need 2 inputs, and MUCH preferably Hi-Z, but I can deal with Line In.

Twin Duo: https://media.guitarcenter.com/is/image/MMGS7/000000119224218-00-2000x2000.jpg
Scarlett 2i4: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71aGoSkkfBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

RCA SPDIF connectors are not "unballanced or ballanced" this is only on analog connections a thing.
SPDIF is digital and the RCA suits useful.
RCA out to SPdIF in is a thing when the RCA is a SPDIF out.
RCA analog can not work to SPDIF input.
The optical input of the UAD Twin is the only connection where you can add analog inputs. The ADA8200 can do it but not 192kHz.
There are some very cheap units for this :
https://www.thomann.de/de/swissonic_con … 24_192.htm
I never used a Swissonic device, just because it has Swiss in the name, that means nothing.
You can get it from Thomann, not bad...

6 (edited by sn 2023-10-09 03:45:36)

Thank you for the help

I will try aggregating tomorrow.

That Swissonic…
can I use that with the UAD Twin? convert TRS to RCA? Then connect it to the UCXII optical in?

7 (edited by waedi 2023-10-09 04:26:40)

Yes you can connect that Swissonic box to the UAD or better to the UFX.
It gives you two analog inputs converted to digital 192 kHz optical.

Thank you again!

Hey I ordered one of these - Wondering if someone can tell me...

I see that I am using the RCA out of the device with the preamps i'll be using...
but does this output via direct monitoring? or is there some configuration required. I assume I need to set the Fireface clock source to SPDIF?

ty

10 (edited by waedi 2023-10-25 17:53:02)

Direct monitoring in the Totalmix is no problem. Just do the routing.
Yes clock-mode external SPDIF is correct when connected with the RCA
If you use the optical connection then clock-mode external optical is to use.
Edit : None of your interfaces has an RCA digital input so you have to use an optical toslink cable and set clock-mode to external optical adat.

No confusion when it comes to totalmix,

My question is:

how will the connected interface output? - for example, if I use the Apollo, does it output to Outs 1+2 via direct monitoring? Does it only use inputs 1+2? Does Apollo need to be set to a standalone mode or similar? Thanks

I’d suggest it needs to be standalone and you need to set it so that it mirrors its inputs to outputs. Have you read the Apollo  manual to see if this is possible?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

yes, looks like it has a standalone 'digital mixer', so I'll try that first