Topic: "forbidden by system policy" when installing on mac

Hi all,

I'm trying to install TotalMix and drivers for a Babyface (RME USB DriverKit Extension) on my work computer, a new Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.5.2 (22G91) but I'm getting "forbidden by system policy" immediately following the "The installation was successful" message.

When I restart I don't see anything available in TotalMix and System Settings doesn't prompt me to allow anything new.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Babyface, Macbook Pro 2015, OSX 10.14.6

Re: "forbidden by system policy" when installing on mac

Did you follow the instructions exactly ? Many steps, in the driver readme.
Then control-look into the MacOS system preferences - Security & privacy - Microphone : is Totalmix in the list and enabled ? It should.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I thought I had installed it exactly as specified. I've installed RME drivers dozens of times and never had this problem. I recall reading that you might have to reboot and change your security settings, though I doubt the work computer would let me do that.

I don't see any sign of Totalmix under system prefs before or after restart.

It's a mystery....

4 (edited by waedi 2023-10-09 17:57:32)

Its not in system prefs its in the list of microphone users that needs your permission to use it.

Disable SIP is the thing you probably need.
I did disable SIP long ago in Monterey and never had an issue, it stays disabled thru all the system upgrades.
This allows me to install software all over the place.
The computer does not complain and Apple does not look at it.

Define 'work computer'. Are you admin of this one and have full rights? IMHO then the message would not show up.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by MatthewMontreal 2023-10-10 19:38:17)

MC wrote:

Define 'work computer'. Are you admin of this one and have full rights? IMHO then the message would not show up.

I have Local Admin rights, so for example I can install applications. On the other hand certain things are controlled via a profile that was installed by my employer. So I can install the drivers up to the point when the installer finishes.

I would say I'm an admin with partial rights. Maybe that's a contradiction but there you go....

Specifically while I would disable SIP on my personal computer, I wouldn't on my work computer.

7 (edited by waedi 2023-10-10 20:56:22)

There you go...
Apples architecture of Security and system integrity has knocked you out.

Am I right then in thinking that this isn't a known error?

It's not an error, the computer is not setup correctly, you should have full permission, not only partially

waedi wrote:

There you go...
Apples architecture of Security and system integrity has knocked you out.

To be fair - the situation would be the same under Windows. And I doubt the company has a policy that grants him the right to have a fully controlled computer. He could contact the IT department and check if they could install the driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's not the standard security and privacy. This error stems from a corporate management solution.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...