1 (edited by jbgeluid 2023-10-11 17:26:36)

Topic: Dual "RME 12 mic" ADAT config question

Hello,

I have a question about using two RME 12 mic" units, while outputting to ADAT @ 48khz, over 3 ADAT lightpipes, to a PCIe RME digiface (3 ADAT inputs), running at 64 or 128 samples buffersize.

To be used as HQ low latency mic inputs in a live environment.

So, is it possible to merge both units, 24 channels, to a total of 3 ADAT outputs @48khz (probably by using the build in MADI coaxial connection, and DSP mixer of the 12 mic's)?

I was thinking of a setup like this:
Where the first unit outputs it's mic channel 1-8 to ADATout1_channel1-8, it's mic channel 9-12 to ADATout2 _channel 1-4.

The second unit would have to send all it's channels to the first over MADI, where they would be routed to ADATout2, channel 5-8, and ADATout3, channel 1-8.
Other options would be to send channel 1-4 of the second unit over MADI to the first, and use one of the ADAT outs on the second unit for it's channels 5-12. Or any other order that would work.

I'm aware that there has to be one clock source in this setup.
I have no experience with MADI, or the 12 mic units (yet), hence the questions.

Also I would like to know if the total AD converter latency of the setup changes when using MADI like this.

As far as I know, ADAT and MADI both do not add extra latency, while for example a DANTE network does add a few msec's.

Thanks.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-10-11 18:31:20)

Re: Dual "RME 12 mic" ADAT config question

You could try the following          Phones                         Phones
                                                  /                                   /
PC---Rec.Iface<----ADAT1-3---12Mic#1-------MADI-----12Mic#2
                   \                           /  |________MADI______|
                     +-----ADAT1--->+

Each MADI device has its own routing.

12Mic#2 routes its Mic inputs 1-12 to MADI 1-12
12Mic#1 routes its Mic inputs 1-12 to ADAT1 ch1-8 and ADAT2 ch 1-4
12Mic#1 route MADI1-12 (Mic inputs from 12Mic#2) to ADAT2 ch5-8 and ADAT3 1-8

If you want to use the phones outputs of the two 12Mic, then you need
- 1 TOSLINK connection from recording interface to 12Mic#1
- on 12Mic#1: - routing 2 phones channels (ADAT1 ch 1+2) to its own phones output
                       - routing 2 phones channels (ADAT1 ch 3+4) to MADI 1-2 OUT towards 12Mic#2
- on 12Mic#2:- routing 2 phones channels from MADI ch 1-2 to its own phones output

All devices have digital inputs which are in use, from where they can receive a clock signal either through an ADAT or MADI input. So any of the devices can be clock master (recording interface or one of the 12Mics).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Great, thanks,

I gues you confirmed it's going to work as I expected then.

However, there is no toslink IN on the 12 mic, so this won't work I'm afraid (unless I'm mistaking):
- 1 TOSLINK connection from recording interface to 12Mic#1

(- on 12Mic#1: - routing 2 phones channels (ADAT1 ch 1+2) to its own phones output
                       - routing 2 phones channels (ADAT1 ch 3+4) to MADI 1-2 OUT towards 12Mic#2
- on 12Mic#2:- routing 2 phones channels from MADI ch 1-2 to its own phones output)

And I still would like someone confirming that there will be no added latency using MADI this way, if it is not to much to ask.

Sorry I forgot, correct, no ADAT IN on the 12Mic, so that would only be possible via MADI.

MADI latencies check e.g. Octamic XTC manual, it's not much, and I think it's the same for all MADI devices, so also for 12Mic:

"When multiple devices are connected serially, the MADI I/O of each OctaMic XTC causes a delay of 3 samples. Therefore, at the MADI output of the last device, the data of all upstreamed devices are delayed. At Double Speed the delay rises to 6 samples per unit, at Quad Speed to 12 samples.".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13