1 (edited by mitchellrenner 2023-10-11 17:37:17)

Topic: Direct monitoring question

Quick question. Using Babyface Pro FS. In TotalMix on iPad (using with Logic) if I have Hardware Input AN 1/2 routed to AN 1/2 output set to 0 and Software Playback AN 1/2 routed to AN 1/2 output set to 0, and I am recording an audio track in Logic ... will the output to AN 1/2 be doubled? That is, the direct monitoring from Hardware Input is going to be heard as well as the direct monitoring from Logic through the Software Playback channel at the same time? I can't find any reference in the manual to whether this occurs. I hope that makes sense.

Re: Direct monitoring question

Yes, the signal would be heard two times with some latency in between.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks, makes sense. Best option I think is to turn off all Hardware Input routing and just go with Software Playback AN 1/2 routings turned up. Then would be able to hear any previously recorded audio tracks along with track being recorded, keeping in mind it's routing through Logic. Other option would be to turn input monitoring off in Logic and direct monitor the track being recorded just through the Babyface. Don't have any latency issues here though so doesn't seem to matter either way.

I would recommend to use direct monitoring, it’s very hard to record overdubs with the latency you have even with smaller buffer sizes. You will hear the already recorded tracks anyway. And Logic has an automatic correction to adjust the new track to the previous ones.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Yes I decided to use the Babyface direct monitoring instead of Logic input monitoring. I would only use the latter if I decided to use Logic fx while recording but I have outboard fx I prefer using anyway. Appreciate the advice!