Topic: which bluetooth receiver, when ADI 2 DAC FS doesn't have SRC ? :)

i wonder what's the point of having SteadyClock FS and not having SRC for spdif / optical inputs?

now i can't use "any okay enough" bluetooth receiver capable of 96kHz sample rate to play from Tidal with my amazing DAC

ideas?

thanks!

2 (edited by ramses 2023-10-18 19:58:45)

Re: which bluetooth receiver, when ADI 2 DAC FS doesn't have SRC ? :)

SteadyClock FS is a different topic. It is there to lock and sync quick and reliable if ADI-2 DAC FS is clock slave and the master is connected via ADAT or SPDIF.
More information see:
- https://www.rme-audio.de/de_steadyclock-fs.html
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti0aHW-zYcs

Background: a few features have been removed from the ADI-2 DAC FS, to be able to get the price below €1000.
At least this was the initial goal before corona and delivery chain problems and last recent price increases.
Now the price increased to €1199 (around €200 more). With SRC, it would be even pricier.

Additionally, I think SRC makes most sense if you have multiple digital inputs and outputs (e.g., AES, ADAT, SPDIF).

This to support, i.e., the following typical connection scenario:

DAT recorder, with fix sample rate, no word clock, thus needs to be clock-master.
But you want to record in 44.1 or double or quad speed.
Then the DAT recorder can be clock master, additionally decoupled from the system's clock master.

Clock       Clock
          Master     Slave (of UFX III)
          @88.2      @88.2
PC----UFXIII---AES----> ADI-2 Pro FS
                  \<-AES------  "
                          coax SPDIF
                           SRC (48<->88.2)
                             ^
                             |
                     DAT Clock Master @48 kHz

Same if you want to connect e.g., a guitar modeler via ADAT or SPDIF.

A solution for you is to have two different config profiles for your ADI-2 DAC FS which you can even map to keys on the device or on the remote. Create a 2nd profile where the ADI-2 DAC FS is clock slave and getting the clock from the digital port to which your BT receiver is connected to.

Easy to setup and handle by using the new ADI-2 Remote ....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Kubrak 2023-10-18 19:52:47)

I do not have  ADI 2 DAC FS and have not checked user guide.... But most/all RME audiointerfaces may be set, to get clock from the source. So, you may play your BT receiver using  ADI 2 DAC FS, I guess. Just switch it from internal clock to external clock.

SRC is available only in certain RME devices.

Ramses was faster....

i'm using it as usb dac / monitor controller, so my buttons are remaped to dim/mono/blackout/hp-mon toggle

i want to use the internal clocking, that's why i bought it,

no usb streaming for me unfortunately wink

SRC should be not missing in case, where the device claims amazing clock accuracy (which i can confirm), and where the device has no wordclock to clock the source

timeltdme wrote:

i want to use the internal clocking, that's why i bought it,

Then you did not understand how it works. The digital source MUST be the clock master. That's why the ADI-2 DAC is always slave with coaxial or optical input. And this is no issue at all as SteadyClock FS removes ANY jitter etc that the BT module might have. There is no reason for 'internal' clock on the DAC.

timeltdme wrote:

now i can't use "any okay enough" bluetooth receiver capable of 96kHz sample rate to play from Tidal with my amazing DAC

Of course you can. Unless your BT receiver does not work at 96 kHz. That wouldn't change when the DAC uses 'internal' clock...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I read the manual again, and now I understand it as you explained. Happy to hear. Thanks.