Topic: RME Fireface UC - headphone amp needed?

I own an RME Fireface UC and I am planning on buying a Sennheiser HD 650 headphone.  The output impedance of the Sennheiser HD 650 headphone is 300 ohm.  Do I need to use a headphone amp with the RME Fireface UC or is it not required?  I read online that the RME Fireface UC has a built-in headphone amp but it doesn't say how much output impedance it will allow. 

Any tips or suggestions?  Would appreciate it.

Re: RME Fireface UC - headphone amp needed?

I use the HD650 with my FFUC, and it works great.

Thanks esteban.  But I just read that the FFUC has an output impedance of only 30 ohms.  Don't you think it requires a headphone amp if the HD650 requires 300 ohms?  I'm confused.

It doesn't require. 30 Ohms means it can drive anything that has 30 Ohms or more. Lower impedance phones usually work as well. They cause a lower output level but usually don't need a high one anyway.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Neither does HD650 "require" a specific impedance, nor is it an "output impedance"...
See http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So basically you guys are saying that high impedance headphones like HD650 will be okay with the Fireface UC and it doesn't require a headphone amp as I had thought?  People online have been indicating that the FFUC can't drive the HD650 to its full potential until they introduce a headphone amp.  Hence my question.

It depends on the volume that you expect from your headphone. I have never seen one being too low volume with the UC's output, but if you are playing drums in a metal band and doing a live rehearsal you might want to have a higer volume than the normal listener could stand wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sounds good.  I am just doing vocal recordings and mixing of music.  So that means I will be okay afterall.

I use it with classical music recordings and I can say that volumen is more than enough

Just for reference, Julian Krause explains amplifier impesance versus headphone impedance and what problems CAN happen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpTsWVLI-ig

TLDR. A 30 Ohm headphone amp is great and can drive anything well without the frequency response changing beyond some hundredths of dB.