Topic: macOS Sonoma Not Detecting Fireface USB v4.09

As titled, my M1 MacBook Pro is unable to detect my Fireface UCX II via USB.

Fireface USB Setting shows Firmware v43, Driver v4.09.
Fireface UCX II SW Version is 26.

Things I have done before making this post,
1. System Security is set to Reduced Security in Recovery Mode.
2. Allowed system extension to run.
3. Enabled RME GmbH as Login item.
4. Tried a few USB cables, none of the solved the issue.
5. Restarted, reinstalled.

Would you guys please help resolve this issue? Thanks.

Re: macOS Sonoma Not Detecting Fireface USB v4.09

Faust8329 wrote:

I don’t understand what you mean by 'unable to detect' when the USB settings app is running and showing informations about the interface …?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:
Faust8329 wrote:

I don’t understand what you mean by 'unable to detect' when the USB settings app is running and showing informations about the interface …?

the Fireface USB Settings app can be opened, but Fireface UCX II is not shown in macOS's Sound Settings, thus I cannot select the device and cannot use it.

Also not appearing in Audio-Midi-Setup?

oli77sch wrote:

Also not appearing in Audio-Midi-Setup?

Not in Audio MIDI Setup either.

Only to check, set it once to class compliant mode.

7 (edited by waedi 2023-10-18 08:14:35)

Is Totalmix running, showing the mixer window ?
Is Totalmix allowed for full access of HD and for Microphone ?
Your point 3 login item, shouldn't this be Totalmix ?
Is the USB-cable the original from the unit ? USB-B to USB-C directly connected to the computer without hub ?
What shows the system report under USB ?
Do also a CC-mode test :
The Class Compliant mode can be activated and deactivated directly at the unit, as long as it is
not connected to a Mac or PC: SETUP/REV, Options, Hardware/Diagnosis, CC Mode On.
When the computer still not can see the unit, the cable may be faulty or not fully plugged in.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

oli77sch wrote:

On Fireface UCX II, CC Mode is off, and cannot be turned on.
How do I change that?

9 (edited by ramses 2023-10-18 08:31:50)

Faust8329 wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

On Fireface UCX II, CC Mode is off, and cannot be turned on.
How do I change that?

You got a manual, the latest version online available here, in case you never used it yet:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ucx2_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ucx2_e.pdf

Your PDF viewer has a search function, search for Class Compliant or CC and then you find:

Manual ch 32: "The Class Compliant mode can be activated and deactivated directly at the unit, as long as it is not connected to a Mac or PC: SETUP/REV, Options, Hardware/Diagnosis, CC Mode On."

Unplug USB cable and then you can change it.

But as mentioned already, you only need CC mode for iPAD, for Windows and Apple you have/need drivers to get all the functions and TM FX.  Only use it for testing on Windows, Apple, iPAD to see, whether it will be recognized over USB in that driverless mode.

"Neither Windows nor Mac Class Compliant support is relevant, though, since there are dedicated and matured drivers for both OS X and Windows, which provide ALL the device's features at lowest latencies. The main reason for implementing Class Compliant mode was to allow connecting the UCX II to an Apple iPad®!"

Besides CC mode it also mentions additional important installation requirements and points to another document.

Chapter 13.1
"During driver installation the programs Totalmix (TotalMix FX) and Fireface USB Settings are copied to the Applications folder.
They will automatically start into the dock if a Fireface UCX II is connected. A reboot of the computer is not required.
Driver Updates do not require to remove the existing drivers. Simply install the new driver over the existing one.
"

and

"For the latest M machines (Apple Silicon) please read the included readme carefully, as on such machines the driver installation requires additional steps to enable third party kernel extensions."

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks guys. I activated CC Mode, now macOS detected Fireface UCX II in Sound Settings. However, underCC mode, Fireface USB Settings app and TotalMix app both cannot be started. what I should do next?

Faust8329 wrote:

Thanks guys. I activated CC Mode, now macOS detected Fireface UCX II in Sound Settings. However, underCC mode, Fireface USB Settings app and TotalMix app both cannot be started. what I should do next?

Read my previous posting and the manual. Updated my posting and gave you concrete hints.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

A cold reboot should perform.

13 (edited by oli77sch 2023-10-18 10:10:57)

I was in a hurry before, now with more time why I suggested to try the cc mode: simply to find out if the issue is hardware related (faulty USB port on UCX II -> cc mode wouldn’t work) or software related. So it’s a step forward to see the unit working and being recognised in cc mode.

@Faust8329, as you can read in the manual, in cc mode there is no Totalmix.

Concerning reduced macOS security and kernel extensions: that’s irrelevant for the driver v4.09! This version is not a kernel extension. You can set your Mac back to the default settings.
But it’s important to do all the described steps after the installation (enabling 3rd party drivers in system settings -> privacy and security).

oli77sch wrote:

I was in a hurry before, now with more time why I suggested to try the cc mode: simply to find out if the issue is hardware related (faulty USB port on UCX II -> cc mode wouldn’t work) or software related. So it’s a step forward to see the unit working and being recognised in cc mode.

@Faust8329, as you can read in the manual, in cc mode there is no Totalmix.

Concerning reduced macOS security and kernel extensions: that’s irrelevant for the driver v4.09! This version is not a kernel extension. You can set your Mac back to the default settings.
But it’s important to do all the described steps after the installation (enabling 3rd party drivers in system settings -> privacy and security).

Got it. I switched to CC mode and back to USB mode. Hardware has no issue.

For v4.09 I still had to reduce security, otherwise macOS does not allow me to enable 3rd party extension in privacy and security.

But after all that, Fireface UCX II is still not showing in macOS sound settings.

After doing all the above, I am still not seeing Fireface UCX II on my Mac. What else should I do?

16 (edited by waedi 2023-10-19 14:48:18)

Is it listed in the system report under USB ?

MacOS system preferences - general - info  scroll down to bottom - button system report

waedi wrote:

Is it listed in the system report under USB ?

MacOS system preferences - general - info  scroll down to bottom - button system report

Yes, it is listed in USB Device Tree.

Totalmix is enabled in the Microphone access list ?
Fireface settings dialog is working ?
Totalmix is not working ?

Any chance you can do a test on another computer ?

You could try the kernel extension driver v3.28 once.

waedi wrote:

--Totalmix is not in the microphone access list.

--Fireface USB Settings dialog is working, even when USB cable is unplugged, the app can still be opened.

--Totalmix is not working. Totalmix has never been able to open since v4.09 installed.

--I have an older intel chip MacBook. It can open Fireface and Totalmix.

oli77sch wrote:

You could try the kernel extension driver v3.28 once.

I did try that before and it worked.. Reinstalling v3.28 made everything work again.

But this is more like a last resort. I still wanted to figure out how to make the newer driver work.

The new DK driver comes with a readme which explains the installation, and that you have to type in your password three times during the installation process. It might be that you missed one of these by hitting the wrong button (quote: Important: do not click OK, but click "Open System Settings", then allow the RME Extension in there, and enter password again), or by restarting too early (the correct restart window is often hidden behind other windows).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The new DK driver comes with a readme which explains the installation, and that you have to type in your password three times during the installation process. It might be that you missed one of these by hitting the wrong button (quote: Important: do not click OK, but click "Open System Settings", then allow the RME Extension in there, and enter password again), or by restarting too early (the correct restart window is often hidden behind other windows).

The new driver requires UCX firmware to be 49. I used the Flash Tool, it shows my current USB version is 43, and the new version is also 43, so even after Flash All nothing is updated. I have tried the Flash Tool on a mac that runs the Kernel Extension driver and a Windows computer. Same result. How do I update USB version to 49?

49 is for the 'old' UCX, not for UCX II