Topic: Makes Sense? ADI 2/4 Pro with Fireface UFX III

Hey All,

I am a home studio almost okay amateur musician loving my Fireface UFX III which I purchased a few months back. I have been eyeing the 2/4 Pro and I am on the fence whether or not it makes sense to purchase; so I thought I would reach out and ask you all for your opinion.

I want to make the best possible music I can while trying to learn stuff that most audio engineers know and also learn the in and outs of mastering.  I am building my 'dream' home studio over the next 2 years.  So I will be using reference quality headphones until I have that set up.

Basically, I see the 2/4 Pro as my reference out along with my mastering AD/DA.   I will never live up to the quality of this set up, but with the UFX, I am hearing nuances that I never knew existed and I want to keep taking that journey.  I am just retired with a little money to create a nice home studio.

So, does it make sense to have the 2/4 Pro with UFX III as my core hardware?

Thanks so much! in advance and please be brutally honest, Thanks! Chas

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-15 01:52:54)

Re: Makes Sense? ADI 2/4 Pro with Fireface UFX III

If ADI-2/4 Pro SE extends the the functionality and use ability of your studio is something on your own decision, probably.
E.g. having a comprehensive hardware equalizer at hand for adaption of the monitor headphones can be a nice option.

Sound wise for example, ADI-2’s selectable AD- and DA-filters can make an audible difference to other converters that have to rely on the standard ones only, specially at low sample rates of 44.1 and 48 kHz.

Fully interfacing occupies, at UFX III, the AES and one Optical out, and one digital input, AES or Optical.
Be sure you have them still available in your setup.

3 (edited by ramses 2023-10-15 10:27:16)

Hi Chas,

welcome to the RME user forum.

In your case, there is certainly no absolute necessity for the connection of an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
The UFX III already has high-quality converters, which were already installed in the ADI-2 Pro FS as an extremely solid basis.

But there are a couple of reasons that ultimately played a big role in the purchase for me: besides quality, the many useful features.

KaiS mentioned already the possibility to select different D/A filters. Recording interfaces do not have such features because there the focus is on linear frequency response during conversion (during recording, mixing and mastering sessions), especially at single speed. I, personally, would choose a different D/A filter only when finally listening to music.

The devices of the ADI-2 DAC / Pro series offer besides an excellent conversion quality, a remarkable circuit design (->auto ref level) and outstanding unique features, which are not available in other vendors devices, also not this feature density. I definitively would not want to miss my two ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in the recording and the HiFi corner of my room.

The devices offer features that also make operation and troubleshooting so much easier: the Bittest is very useful to check for lossless audio playback, the State overview screen is so useful for troubleshooting as it details the type and stare of digital connections. Now additionally the ADI-2 Remote control software.

Furthermore, the integrated sample rate converter (SRC) is a big win, because I might get an amp modeler in the future where it is possible, that it can't be digitally connected as clock slave. Other people might need to integrate a DAT tape with fixed sample rate.

Especially the newly released remote control software ADI-2 Remote for all models of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro series, opens up even more possibilities due to the now more comfortable operation and management of devices and PEQ setups. This is especially beneficial for fine-tuning of headphone presets and easier exchange between users.

In this blog article, I focused on some very exciting features and also on model differences between ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 Pro.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

Basically, the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE features are also valid for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
Some have been enhanced in the ADI-2/4 Pro SE, e.g., even faster DAC, one ref level more, … and some more features were added like e.g.: input for turntables with RIAA decoding, Pentacon plug for balanced headphones, independent XLR and TRS outputs in the back offering a 2nd playout path for a mastering etc.

This Blog article I wrote to show how easy it is to integrate the reference converter into a setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Read the excellently written manual of the ADI-2/4 Pro SE because it contains a lot of interesting information.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you so much KaiS and ranses - I greatly appreciate your responses.

There is clearly so much more 'under the hood' than I was/am aware of.  I studied your links ranses (Thanks again!) and I am not going to pretend to understand all of it.  Same as the manual, I have read it, some sections several times and I don't understand it all and some areas I can grasp it but not understanding the full implications. 

Since I am not sure of an effective way to understand and learn everything, I guess I will just take the leap of faith, purchase it and see how well I can drive it!  Even if I can't use it to its full potential, doesn't seem I can go wrong by getting it.

Thanks, Again!

I have a UFX II along with an ADI8-QS and a 1610 as my AD/DA in the recording studio.

The are all excellent!

I have 2 older ADI2-pros at home one in my HiFi system and the other for when I mix at home.

Even through they measure slightly better than the studio gear - I’ve never bother to take one to the studio.

I’d say just use the UFX3. If you fancy spending money - spend it on a coloured pre amp like a Neve or API to add variety to the clean RME.

Or buy a fancy microphone ( I love my Flea).

gregd wrote:

I have a UFX II along with an ADI8-QS and a 1610 as my AD/DA in the recording studio.

The are all excellent!

I have 2 older ADI2-pros at home one in my HiFi system and the other for when I mix at home.

Even through they measure slightly better than the studio gear - I’ve never bother to take one to the studio.

I’d say just use the UFX3. If you fancy spending money - spend it on a coloured pre amp like a Neve or API to add variety to the clean RME.

Or buy a fancy microphone ( I love my Flea).

I agree 1000%! Or a synth or guitar or a nice inspiring trip.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks for the response... and just when I was ready to purchase (they are having a nice sale this month!) I get confirmation that the ADI 2/4 although better, is UFX iii redundant. 

I am back on the fence.  And no, I don't need to spend the money, it was the sale that was making me consider this purchase at this time.

Just FYI, yes a Neve (Shelford Channel) is on my radar but ever time I think about it, I hear in my head.... I am not worthy!

Okay, thanks again guys, I really appreciate your insights.  If it weren't for the sale, I probably would be backing off from the ADI 2/4.  Thanks!

I have a few vintage and modern Neves in the studio (1073, 1084, 4081) and they all have a warm larger than life character - which can be really beautiful when you want it.

And your certainly are worthy. It is a great compliment to the UFX!

Thanks so much gregd, I greatly appreciate your encouragement and validation.

I have so much to learn, but my current dream list for mastering chain is Computer out to UFX to Neve Portico ii to ADI 2/4 for AD and back to the computer. 

I keep reading all the posts from all the incredibly knowledgeable community here and it seems some think the ADI 2/4 is the way to go and some think the UFX is 'good enough' that one won't be able to hear the difference.

I remain on the fence!  :-)

For mastering, it makes sense to go with "divine conversion" IMO.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

11 (edited by ramses 2023-10-18 07:47:48)

If you have the option in your country to return an item within 14 days or a month, I would simply try out the ADI-2/4 Pro SE. As the saying goes, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

I will summarize the many things I've read and experienced in the following words. The differences in current converters are becoming increasingly smaller, but there are slight differences in the representation of musical material. Essentially due to a) the converter in combination with the quality of the analog circuitry directly behind it, bringing the signal to line level, and b) in some converters, the additional possibility to choose between different D/A filters.

Regarding a) on YouTube, mastering engineer Marc Einstmann has made an interesting comparison between the ADI-2 Pro FS (older version) and high-end converters. Depending on the music material, he uses different converters and has also discovered certain qualities in the ADI-2 Pro FS. You should simply listen to it and then compare the prices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHG32aXBDY&t=1s

As for b), KaiS has already shared his experiences in the forum, mentioning that he particularly liked the Slow filter of the AKM chip of the ADI-2 Pro FS, as it allows for better acoustic localization of percussive sound sources in the spatial representation of the musical material ("the representation of the stage").
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 41#p198641

Furthermore, RME also considers how to properly control converters from different manufacturers. For example, ensuring sufficient headroom, so that even with signals above 0 dBFS (for example, due to a series of signals close to 0 dBFS, known as overs), there is no clipping/distortion. As far as I recall, this is already implemented in AKM chips by the manufacturer, and RME regulates this through firmware so that a few dB of SNR serve as such headroom protection against overs.

Let's simplify and say "this is the starting point for high-quality, transparent audio conversion".

In addition, the devices have various extremely useful features and unique selling points that you won't find with any other manufacturer, providing additional real added value in daily use, particularly in the area of monitoring. Plus, all the features regarding operating power-hungry headphones and options for their linearization.
I gave you already a few suggestions where to search for information, in my blog articles which highlight a few things, and of course, the very detailed manual. Regarding the topics above, see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Zyuo-cOIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nq9ZGAYTwU

When you consider and review how tirelessly RME has made model improvements in the past 7 years, implementing many customer suggestions and new features for improvement. You simply have to say that the optimal balance between price, quality, and features has been achieved here.
All these changes were only possible by this smart FPGA based design (flashable / re-programmable CPUs) and the willingness of RME to make the good even better.

In summary, the added value of a UFX III is not limited to "possibly minor" sound improvements compared to the purchase price. However, we also know that achieving the last percentage of improvement is always the most expensive. But here, it's still affordable! The devices of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, 2/4 Pro SE series provide so many advantages for monitoring and other things that I no longer want to do without the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

You get something unique for your money at a reasonable and fair price.

In my humble opinion, you should simply give it a try. And if you want another preamp (Neve, etc.), then you seem so ambitious that you'll probably treat yourself to it. It doesn't have to be all purchased at once. Especially, you always need some time to familiarize yourself with new things. Too many new devices could be counterproductive.

Tip: The "SE" in the model name of the ADI-2/4 Pro SE stands for Special Edition. The devices are produced in limited batches depending on demand. So, seize the opportunity when available or be prepared for a longer wait, and currently, prices are not dropping.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I want to thank everyone for their comments directly here and indirectly as I have read many posts in other topics.

I came to a conclusion and that is, I will be purchasing the ADI 2/4, just not now.

The basis of this conclusion is that yes, I will be keeping the ADI 2/4 on my list to purchase because it is such an incredible and flexible item packed full of capabilities.  The reason I will be waiting on this purchase (even with the great US sale on them right now) is that my UFX III is handling all the functions I will be using the ADI 2/4 pro for and thus, in terms of capabilities that I will use, it is redundant at this time and thus a lesser priority than other items I have on my list. Additionally, and perhaps even more importantly, in about 2 years when I will be ready to purchase the ADI 2/4 (mainly after I build out my home studio) technologies may change and the ADI 2/4 will most likely address those new technologies and provide capabilities that I will not have at that future time (Dante?). 

So that is how I came to my conclusion.  Thanks again everyone – this is an awesome forum full of incredibly smart people and I have learned a lot for you all.  Thanks so much!