Topic: Digiface USB & SSL Alpha-Link Madi Ax (using ADAT) - Issue!

Hi all - new user in need of some help..

I recently upgraded my Mac to mini M2 - and my old ADAT interface not supported with drivers so needed to upgrade.. & opted for the digiface and stick with ADAT as it was cheaper than the Madiface.
This is to interface with my SSL Alpha.

I tried to set up today after the whole lot had sat unloved for about a year (been moving house & studio..)

I managed to get the digital drivers set up and total mix but then hit some issues..

Essentialy I can't get it to register input on the SSL.
I can send audio from Mac to ADAT 1/2 on total mix and hear on the headphone out of the digi - but when connected (out 1 on digi to in 1-8 on SSL) the SSL registers no signal input.
SSL is set to ADAT as input & internal clock, 44.1.

I could only find one of my ADAT cables to test.. so - I feel like this could be;
1. the cable is dud
2. the SSL is Dud
3. the Digi is not quite set up correctly

A quick question to help me identify if it is the cable..
If I send the signal out as above but then plug the other end back into 'in 1' on the digi I assume I should be seeing the signal return and register with an LED on the front, and appear in the total mix?
I do not - which led me to believe could be the cable...?

Any help or pointers appreciated.. I feel a bit lost. will be a week until I can get back down with the other cable.
It is entirely possible the SSL is dud as it did once play up - but this was not the issue and had then been running fine for a good year since..

Many thanks in advance

2 (edited by waedi 2023-10-21 16:35:45)

Re: Digiface USB & SSL Alpha-Link Madi Ax (using ADAT) - Issue!

Yes from the cable Loopback the signal should be visible in Totalmix input channel.
The flickering LED I'm not sure, I only watch Totalmix for this.
Can you set the SSL clock to external Adat instead of internal ? I would try.
The open end of the toslink cable is showing a red light when connected to the Digiface, right ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes I thought so it should show up!
I can set clock on the ssl to external but that will look to the word clock input which digiface doesn’t have… or I can set clock to adat..? Would that then pick up from that input?

Yes I see the red light but just no signal shows up

Thanks!

4 (edited by oli77sch 2023-10-21 16:54:03)

Can you post a screenshot of your TotalMix window please? Maybe you simply don't have the software playback channels open for the corresponding hardware output. In Totalmix, every hardware out has its own mix. When Totalmix is set to 'submix' view, click on the hardware out channel(s) you want to use, then raise up the faders of the software playback channels you want to hear.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

steven.nicholls1 wrote:

Yes I thought so it should show up!
I can set clock on the ssl to external but that will look to the word clock input which digiface doesn’t have… or I can set clock to adat..? Would that then pick up from that input?

Yes I see the red light but just no signal shows up

Thanks!

In the Digiface you let the clock-mode internal.
you only have one cable so this is the only way.
If SSL has only clock-mode internal or word then leave it internal and receive the Adat signal without sync.
You have to set the sample rate to the same as in Digiface. There is a chance you will receive the music.
Make sure you can see the signal in Totalmix on the Adat output channel as Oli told.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks both.
I’ll try and get back down there tomorrow and then can do the screenshots and work through the suggestions!

Thanks!!