Topic: Digiface USB AC3: SPDIF Optical in on a Mac

Hi,

On my Mac Mini 2018 running Ventura, I have been trying to decode an ac3 spdif input to a Digiface USB, but with no success.
Is this possible at all on a Mac?

Thanks
- Fred

Re: Digiface USB AC3: SPDIF Optical in on a Mac

Hi
The optical inputs on the Digiface USB are only compatible to two channel (stereo) SPDIF, but not to multichannel formats.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

3 (edited by fcred 2023-10-22 16:40:50)

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
The optical inputs on the Digiface USB are only compatible to two channel (stereo) SPDIF, but not to multichannel formats.

That is what I figured, but was optimistic since it works on Windows.

Thanks for the response, even if it is bad news. smile

- Fred

The inputs are transparent, so take any signal. You just need a tool that can decode the AC3 signal in realtime (you seem to have that for Windows).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The inputs are transparent, so take any signal. You just need a tool that can decode the AC3 signal in realtime (you seem to have that for Windows).

So obviously I was wrong - sorry for my misleading reply above!

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

MC wrote:

Yay. smile smile
Now that I am certain it is possible I will continue my efforts.

Thank you.

- Fred

I seem to remember VLC supports AC3 playback.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

We're talking digital input here, not playback - decoding AC3 into separated PCM streams. That is quite unusual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Had to read that twice... :-)

I think - never tested it though - you can feed the incoming AC3 stream to VLC, as VLC supports streaming.

Something to test the next time I have the Digiface USB in use. Now, do I have an AC3 optical source somewhere?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

DVD player, BD player, TV optical output...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by fcred 2023-11-05 15:07:09)

If it helps, I managed to extract ac3 from the Digiface USB spdif input but not in a way that helped me.
It took a while but eventually I learned that the spdif signal is not pure ac3 but ac3 wrapped as SMPTE ST 337. VLC does not recognise this but ffmpeg and MediaInfo do.

So if I first capture the first two Digiface channels into a file using:
`ffmpeg -f avfoundation -i :2 -filter_complex "[0:a]pan=2C|c0=c0|c1=c1" -y capture.wav`

and pipe this file into the VLC audio capture device via Blackhole2ch or any other audio device:
`ffmpeg -i capture.wav -f spdif -f audiotoolbox -audio_device_index 2 -`

it works since ffmpeg will extract the ac3 and if necessary, decode appropriately.

However, if I try to use VLC as the capture device directly:
`ffmpeg -f avfoundation -i :2 -filter_complex "[0:a]pan=2C|c0=c0|c1=c1" -f spdif -f audiotoolbox -audio_device_index 2 -`

ffmpeg does not extract the ac3 but passes on the raw signal as PCM!

I tried bypassing the problem by using a pipe, such as:
`ffmpeg -f avfoundation -i :2 -filter_complex "[0:a]pan=2C|c0=c0|c1=c1" -f wav - | ffmpeg -f spdif -i - -f audiotoolbox -audio_device_index 2 -`

Here the second ffmpeg recognised the format and this worked until decoding errors poisoned the stream.

Nothing I tried solved this problem, so unless I get another bright idea, I guess I am giving up on this for now.