Topic: Audible LED light activity on Babyface pro

Hi all
From time to time there are moments where I can hear the LED lights on my Babyface pro thru the headphones. It is a 'whining' beep sound, luckily on a low volume. Yesterday it appeared again and I found out, it’s related to touching the device (for example to adjust the output volume via the wheel or similar). As far I can tell, the beep sound is not in the recording path but only on main and headphone outputs - not entirely sure about this yet.
What is causing it?
Someone else having this?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Re: Audible LED light activity on Babyface pro

Leakage current from a switching power supply. Touching the device grounds it, the leakage current then runs through the unit making that current audible. A proper grounding at some point of the overall setup would prevent that effect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by maggie33 2023-10-25 09:11:21)

Sounds like sth power related. Do you have the external power supply connected?

If yes, the original RME power supply?
Tried another Power Socket than your Host is connected to?

If no, did you try another USB cable?
Is it connected trough any USB Hubs?
Maybe the USB Power is not enough?

EDIT: Oh, MC already replied ;-)

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Thanks MC and maggie33.
Yesterday I had the BBFpro bus powered on my Macbook pro which was on its power supply. Original RME USB cable. I think I go to try different powering and connecting situations to find out how to prevent the issue (I also have the original power supply for the BBFpro). I report back then...

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

The switching power supply of your MacBook is most probably without ground connection. Touching the MacBook would have helped as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME