Topic: RME FireWire 400 Ableton

Hello,

I am new to RME and have just acquired a Fireface 400. I have installed the drivers, opened Totalmix and setup Ableton preferences for inputs and outputs.

No matter what I do I cannot seem to get any signal at all coming into TotalMix from Ableton. I watched the TotalMix basics video on YouTube and it shows the Ableton output as 1-2 and then a signal to software playback AN 1/2, which is routed to the main speaker output.

I can’t get any signal whatsoever in TotalMix?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-11-01 13:44:04)

Re: RME FireWire 400 Ableton

Which OS, drivers/version and Ableton version?

Is the issue only with Ableton, how about sound from the operating system or other applications?

Screenshots would be nice of relevant Ableton settings and TM FX with the routing of the submix to your analog outputs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello,

Currently running OS 10.13.6

Driver is 2.62a

FF doesn’t seem to be working when cueing samples or any sound outside of Ableton so not just an isolated issue.

Apologies forgot to mention, Ableton 10 suite

Hi Zara soon, are you familiar with the basics in TotalMix?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I’ve watched some tutorials online but I will admit it’s not something I have used before buying the Fireface. I did try updating to the latest driver but when opening TotalMix I got a message saying hardware mismatch so I downloaded the flash update as instructed but I kept getting a D000000 error message so reverted back to 2.62a but feel that may be causing an issue.

For the new driver you need the firmware updated, which is not possible under a current OS with current driver. You need to install an old driver on an old OS. The reason is that any such incompatible firmware is at least 12 years old. Whoever sold you this unit did not do the update 12 years ago...

And 2.62a will not work on your OS. It's from 2008...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by vinark 2023-11-01 15:44:27)

Your best bet is to find someone with a windows pc with firewire and do the firmware upgrade there. Or an old Mac. But any windows pc with FW will do.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi all, thank you so much for your time and recommendations, I plugged into an old Mac and updated the flash then plugged back into the current laptop, upgraded to the latest firmware and all is working. Thank you!

Great, well done :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13