Topic: Fireface 800 Works on Mac M2 Sonoma 14,0

Hello to you all.

My Fireface 800 works on a clean install of MacOs Sonoma.

First I installed the drivers as RME explains.

Then I added a little program that I found on google witch reactivates the firewire system .

As I'm not the programmer of this little program I invite you to researcher on Google.
But if the programer reads my post and is ok to share it I'd be glad to put in online.

Best Regards

Marc

Re: Fireface 800 Works on Mac M2 Sonoma 14,0

mcweber wrote:

… reactivates the firewire system .

Is that specific to a clean install? Or to Mac M2?
I have a Fireface 800 working with Sonoma on a iMac M1. Sonoma was an update from previous OS. I didn't have to reactivate a firewire system nor did I need a "little program" for that. Can someone clear that up, please?

iMac M1, Fireface 800, Logic Pro X

On my Macbook M1 I started with BigSur and each  updates until Ventura worked. ( but needed the patch)
I then bought a Mac Studio M2 and installed from scratch with the patch but after googling I don't think Apple reinstated firewire.

If That Can help

Apfel wrote:
mcweber wrote:

… reactivates the firewire system .

Is that specific to a clean install? Or to Mac M2?
I have a Fireface 800 working with Sonoma on a iMac M1. Sonoma was an update from previous OS. I didn't have to reactivate a firewire system nor did I need a "little program" for that. Can someone clear that up, please?

Similar situation here. The RME firewire driver I've installed on macOS 12 Monterey, then went to Ventura and now to Sonoma. Never heard about 'reactivating the firewire system' before.
@mcweber: what search terms did you use? I can’t find such a helper app…

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

5 (edited by Apfel 2023-11-08 20:53:11)

Same here. I think I even started with Big Sur on the iMac M1, I don't remember.

I installed the driver as told and everything worked from day one through all the OS updates so far without any "patches" or "little programs".

@mcweber: Again, what "patch" and "little program" are you talking about?

I hope you checked first if your setup worked without this "little program"?

When I installed the driver from Big Sur and updating I lost control on Ventura and needed the  little program.
It's available on the net under the name AppleFWAudioVentura.pkg
It works well on Sonoma but this os tells me sometimes when I boot up that the rme drivers are obsolete ( contact the provider wink but they work.
But I'm not sure about updating to Sonoma 14.1

But as Apfel Says : check if the RME drivers work by them self as the "little program" is compiled and you can analyse what it's doing .

The Sonoma 14.1.1 from today just works fine.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

mcweber wrote:

When I installed the driver from Big Sur and updating I lost control on Ventura and needed the  little program.

No, you didn't. You must have overlooked any of the Apple 'click me security paranoia' so the driver stayed inactive.

mcweber wrote:

It's available on the net under the name AppleFWAudioVentura.pkg

That adds AppleFWAudio.kext. Might be a thing for Apogee or others, but not RME. We don't use that one at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mcweber wrote:

"… clean install … " / "… When I installed the driver from Big Sur and updating I lost control on Ventura … "

What does "lost control" mean? Could it be that you wipe your disk and make a complete clean install with every major system update? This is not necessary!

That was common practice some 20-30 years ago when people thought only this way would they get a working system when they get rid of old stuff completely first. That was probably right in some cases.

I remember those days when a system update was a day-long activity when you had to reinstall everything from scratch. At some point in time when some people still insisted on this philosophy I stopped that and from then on installed system update over system update without any problems.

Hello,

When I said that I lost control it's just to say the the Fireface 800 Divers did not work on Ventura
without the patch. on a MacBook 13 M1.

But I now 'm talking about a clean install of Sonoma on a Mac Studio M2 installed with RME instructions and the Fireface was not recognized without the keyxt  but the administrator says it is not needed.

If  it works for you then discard it.

But some times when I reboot Sonoma It tells me that the drivers are obsolete and won't work with the next upgrades.
I discard the message and It works .
So I stick to Sonama version 14.0

I'm not a programer , I'm just talking aout my experience.

Cheers to all.
Marc Weber

No, you didn't. You must have overlooked any of the Apple 'click me security paranoia' so the driver stayed inactive.

As the Administrator says.

Fireface 800 on a new Mac Mini M2 running Sonoma out of the box. I've gone into setup and lowered the security and checked the first box to allow extensions. Still no luck. What am I missing??

riversintampa wrote:

Fireface 800 on a new Mac Mini M2 running Sonoma out of the box. I've gone into setup and lowered the security and checked the first box to allow extensions. Still no luck. What am I missing??

Can you give us more informations:
- installation process went well?
- allowed third party software in macOS system settings > privacy and security?
- allowed the audio interface ('microphone') for audio software, again in system settings > privacy and security?
- is the firmware on the FF800 on newest state?
- how exactly is the FF800 connected to the Mac?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2