Topic: RME ADI 2 DAC to DDC - can't connect

Trying to connect a Musician Pisces DDC to an RME ADI 2 FS via spdif co-ax

PC > USB > Pisces DDC > Spdif co-ax > RME

I get no sound and the ADI Remote shows 'not connected'

https://i.imgur.com/lqjkGbH.png

Anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong ?

Thanks

Re: RME ADI 2 DAC to DDC - can't connect

The RME ADI-2 DAC must be connected to the PC direct. Not necessarily instead of your configuration, you can also simply add the necessary USB cable. But there are questions:

1. What is the Musician Pisces digital to digital converter supposed to do that the RME can't?

2. What audio output is selected in the PC software?

3. What mode is selected in the ADI-2 DAC?

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

The Pisces is borrowed from a friend, i wanted to test the fact, or myth, that a DDC can make an audible difference to the audio quality from a PC.

Output from PC is set to use the Pisces.

Mode on Auto / Line in set to SP CO ( RME )

Does the state overview window on the ADI-2 DAC show any information in the row SP co?

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

5 (edited by joachim.herbert 2023-11-09 16:00:21)

In another post you used

"USB C > SMSL p100 Pro > Co-AX to RME"

Did/does that work?

In case it did, the problem is with your fancy DDC. The P100pro is a DDC too.

Edit: As noted, better use PC>RME via usb directly. Absolutely no need for something in between.

6 (edited by rawac 2023-11-09 16:08:19)

joachim.herbert wrote:

In case it did, the problem is with your fancy DDC. The P100pro is a DDC too. ...

If the row is >SP co --  -- -- -- < , this would also mean that the problem is in the DCC or its cables.

Ralf

7 (edited by Brizzles 2023-11-09 16:22:20)

joachim.herbert wrote:

In another post you used

"USB C > SMSL p100 Pro > Co-AX to RME"

Did/does that work?

In case it did, the problem is with your fancy DDC. The P100pro is a DDC too.

Edit: As noted, better use PC>RME via usb directly. Absolutely no need for something in between.

The p100pro worked straight away PC>USB>P100>co-ax>RME, so i thought the Pisces would be the same.

Using a different cable this time, so could be that or the drivers.

Though with the p100 the RME wasn't direct connect, but still worked

Brizzles wrote:

The p100pro worked straight away PC>USB>P100>co-ax>RME, so i thought the Pisces would be the same. Using a different cable this time, so could be that or the drivers.

Looks like the problem is with the Pisces to me. Cable or drivers (?) not likely to cause this.

Again, usb in of the adi-2 dac fs is as good as it gets. Additional elements in the chain mean potential for errors.