Topic: UFX+ & 12Mic setup information

I was hoping someone could clarify something for me.

In my current studio setup I am using a UFX+ with an Orion32 hooked up via MADI optical.

my old secondary adat 8ch pre is over over 15 years old.....i just use it for talkback mics between musicians while tracking.  its has officially dead at this point and I was going to replace it with a 12MIC. 

To the best of my understanding of the manual.....I can use MADI is "split" mode input.  Then I can use the Orion in MADI optical and the 12MIC on MADI Coaxial. 

Is my understanding correct?  I just wanted to confirm before I made my purchase. 

thank you in advance!

Cheers!

B.A.

Re: UFX+ & 12Mic setup information

Yes that's possible, it's called daisy-chain afaik.
The Madi bus has 64 input channels, the 12Mic has 12 and the 8-pre has 8, that's 20 channels in use and 44 channels left.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Yes that's possible, it's called daisy-chain afaik.
The Madi bus has 64 input channels, the 12Mic has 12 and the 8-pre has 8, that's 20 channels in use and 44 channels left.

Yes, daisy-chaining is also possible, but not what the OP was asking. OP was talking about split mode, and yes, it is possible. Each connector will then have half the channel count i.e. 32 I/O optical (first 32 Madi channels of the UFX+) and 32 I/O coaxial in 44,1/48kHz single speed.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Wondering why he is not chaining. The 3 samples more at single speed by chaining won't kill the performance, and he would have galvanic isolation, which I would prefer in a studio.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by bsfreq 2023-11-11 21:00:54)

ramses wrote:

Wondering why he is not chaining. The 3 samples more at single speed by chaining won't kill the performance, and he would have galvanic isolation, which I would prefer in a studio.

I agree, it's usually best to use optical. However, there might be situations where split mode is more convenient.
For example in my case, I have my UFX+ inside a portable rack with another MADI device. Those two are connected via MADI coaxial. I've then added short optical MADI patch cables from UFX+ to my rack patchbay on the back of my rack.
12mic, that’s usually in another room or further away(+other gear connected to 12mic) then connect through those optical MADI ports.
(BTW, it's a shame that 12mic doesn't have any adat inputs)

It’s
1. Much easier to connect both optical madi cables to the rear of my rack instead of connecting to two separate devices inside my rack.
2. Madi coaxial is still digital audio, so no ground hum there.
3. All devices in my rack are connected to same, protected  power distributor, so no ground differences should be present anyway.
4. The other MADI device inside my rack actually supports only 32 MADI channels from any connector (coax/opt), so by daisy chaining I would loose half the channels anyway.

With Orion32 that 32channel limit is not present, so the OP can actually choose whichever is more convenient in his/her situation.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic