Topic: win drivers and auto sample rate.

Hello, i have an adi2-dac with the default windows drivers not RME's.

The problem is that on Wasapi the sample rate does not change automatic.

Windows 11. Can you help me on this ?

Re: win drivers and auto sample rate.

Combination of MusicBee and RME ASIO driver works satisfactory.
Automatically changes the sample rate and you have the following additional advantages:

- you can remote control MusicBee using MusicBee Remote from any Android Smartphone or Tablet
- have the driver settings dialog to check for USB transport errors (crc counters)
- you can update the firmware at any time
- you can automatically synchronize Auto-playlists over wireless with your smartphone or USB stick to keep your content up-to-date
- you can customize it to get clickable URLs to search for information on Discogs, Wikipedia, MusicBrainz

https://www.getmusicbee.com/

Maybe time for a change in terms of player?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No, because i am using apps like Tidal.

Talking of sample rates, what do you guys set it to in Windows? As I understand it, Windows can't change it on the fly and it defaults to 44KHz so I usually set mine to 192KHz both in Windows and in the driver as that is the maximum my files use and that's what the ADI-2 DAC FS shows on its display. Is there a better setting or do you agree?

be nice if someone at RME could respond on this, same/similar issue coming up under a few different threads.

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-11-07 17:40:02)

Sleepless wrote:

Talking of sample rates, what do you guys set it to in Windows? As I understand it, Windows can't change it on the fly and it defaults to 44KHz so I usually set mine to 192KHz both in Windows and in the driver as that is the maximum my files use and that's what the ADI-2 DAC FS shows on its display. Is there a better setting or do you agree?

rynogee wrote:

be nice if someone at RME could respond on this, same/similar issue coming up under a few different threads.

Coming up quite often.

In case your Music Player doesn‘t support ASIO / automatic sample rate switching, setting the system to 192 kHz SR indeed is the best way.
With 192 kHz ADI-2 works without limitations, see DAC manual page 17.

Going that high, the computer does the upsampling with the least audible artifacts - usually none.

Remark: in iOS / iPadOS sample rate switching with Tidal works flawless.
iDevices are a good streaming option.

I see part of the benefit of an external DAC with display and disagnostics and functionality like the RME one is that it automatically tells me what it's being fed via USB, given the various different apps, streaming services etc, that could be feeding it from USB as a source.

I interpret that fixing the windows setting to 192 means we won't see / know what's being streamed (certainly not on the DAC itself)?

I guess I need to consider another DAC.

rynogee wrote:

I see part of the benefit of an external DAC with display and disagnostics and functionality like the RME one is that it automatically tells me what it's being fed via USB, given the various different apps, streaming services etc, that could be feeding it from USB as a source.

I interpret that fixing the windows setting to 192 means we won't see / know what's being streamed (certainly not on the DAC itself)?

This is not an RME, but a Windows and music player app issue.
It‘s the same for all DACs.

There are various configurations where automatic sample rate switching works.

9 (edited by joachim.herbert 2023-11-09 14:24:59)

Did you TRY the rme asio driver?

Just opened the qubuz app, selected the madiface driver and streamed along. Same should work with tidal.

By the way this is (part of) what specific drivers are for.

@Survive style 5+ - try Audirvana. Wonderful player, which supports bot ASIO & Tidal, and does switch sample rate

KaiS wrote:

In case your Music Player doesn‘t support ASIO / automatic sample rate switching, setting the system to 192 kHz SR indeed is the best way.
With 192 kHz ADI-2 works without limitations, see DAC manual page 17.

Going that high, the computer does the upsampling with the least audible artifacts - usually none.

Remark: in iOS / iPadOS sample rate switching with Tidal works flawless.
iDevices are a good streaming option.

I use my ADI-2 DAC FS as the audio output device from my computer so it's used for YouTube, etc. as well as playing music. It sounds like 192KHz is the best setting so that's a great answer, thank you.

KaiS wrote:
rynogee wrote:

This is not an RME, but a Windows and music player app issue.
It‘s the same for all DACs.

There are various configurations where automatic sample rate switching works.

I have used a dragonfly and a chord DAC to stream direct from the Tidal desktop app and both indicate the sample rate on the DAC, without resorting to other workarounds.

13 (edited by rynogee 2023-11-13 22:25:29)

joachim.herbert wrote:

Did you TRY the rme asio driver?

Just opened the qubuz app, selected the madiface driver and streamed along. Same should work with tidal.

By the way this is (part of) what specific drivers are for.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but i can't try as i don't own the device and certainly am not buying one if I can't confirm in advance that it does what I need. (You say 'should work'...)

It seems there is not a specific driver, which is the problem and why people keep suggesting workarounds?