Topic: FF 802 won't sound on startup

Hi all,

I have a new problem with my 802 where there is no sound just on startup.

Issue may have started when I updated my OS from 13.3.1 to 13.6.1. but not sure. When I boot up initially there is no sound and I get a spinning wheel in e.g. iTunes.  If I then reassign the sound output to e.g. my Mac Studio Display speakers, and turn the 802 off and on again, then output will return. Then everything is stable for the rest of the day.

I've been using a OWC TB 3 Hub with chain of FW800 > TB 2 and TB 2 > TB3 adaptor for several years. Has worked no problem until this little hiccup.

I've tried zapping the PRAM, resetting SMC, and reinstalling the latest driver (v 3.4.1).

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

OS X version : 13.6.1 | Mac Studio (M1 Ultra) 128GB RAM | Interface: RME 802

Re: FF 802 won't sound on startup

Isn't it enough to switch the 802 on after the Mac boot to fix this?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe update to OS 13.6.2?
Maybe there is some actual firmware for your hub available?
As you have a FF802 - Maybe try a USB2 to USB-C Cable instead of the complicated "FW800 > TB 2 and TB 2 > TB3" way?

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

MC wrote:

Isn't it enough to switch the 802 on after the Mac boot to fix this?

Thanks for the reply. Yes it isn't all that inconvenient to switch on the 802 after boot up, but any change in the way the interface is working is some cause for concern when it has always functioned correctly on boot up until now. I will probably get at UFX III before end of year, but would be good to understand why this is happening.

maggie33 wrote:

Maybe update to OS 13.6.2?
Maybe there is some actual firmware for your hub available?
As you have a FF802 - Maybe try a USB2 to USB-C Cable instead of the complicated "FW800 > TB 2 and TB 2 > TB3" way?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to update the OS and see if that helps. I can also try to trash audio prefs and revert to Time Machine backup if it doesn't work.

All my Equipment (Mac, Monitors, Dockingstation, FF802, etc) are plugged in to power strip. So i have to just push one button and everything starts up. I had similar issues a time ago: When the 802 was connected to my dockingstation, maybe it was powered before the Mac booted up? I do not know. - thus i had to switch off/on the 802 manually. I solved this by plugging it directly to the mac via USB.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard