Re: Which USB interface?

SteadyClock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

52 (edited by vinark 2023-10-28 09:22:34)

Of course on the digiface usb, steadyclock is of limited importance, relative to the clocking stability of the connected devices. Since jitter is only important at the ad and da stage and the digiface does neither (except for the phones).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Ok thanks. So having Steadyclock FS would only improve jitter for phones output? The adat outputs would be exactly the same with Steadyclock or FS?

54 (edited by oli77sch 2023-10-28 11:06:49)

vinark wrote:

Of course on the digiface usb, steadyclock is of limited importance, relative to the clocking stability of the connected devices. Since jitter is only important at the ad and da stage and the digiface does neither (except for the phones).

No, Steadyclock technology also 'cleans' incoming ADAT or SPDIF streams which can have lots of jitter! Read this: https://www.rme-audio.de/steadyclock-fs.html

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

55 (edited by ramses 2023-10-28 11:10:38)

oli77sch wrote:
vinark wrote:

No, Steadyclock technology also 'cleans' incoming ADAT or SPDIF streams which can have lots of jitter! Read this: https://www.rme-audio.de/steadyclock-fs.html

And takes care of getting a lock much quicker and keeping the lock reliably even if there should be an enormous amount of jitter, see the RME video where such a high jitter has been dialed-in during the test (which would normally never occur in a real-life scenario).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

TomVY wrote:

Does the Digiface USB use Steadyclock or Steadyclock FS?

Not a big difference. But a huge difference to a device without steadyclock.

57 (edited by Kubrak 2023-10-28 12:47:53)

Just to answer original question....

Digiface USB has SteadyClock, not SteadyClock FS.

Userguide page 6.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/dface_usb_e.pdf

EDIT.
I have overloked, that MC has already answerred it....

I'm going to buy the Babyface anyway. But I did consider the Digiface USB and keeping my Metric Halo ULN-2. But I would get a lesser quality phones output when using the Digiface standalone for mobile use. If it had Steadyclock FS I might seriously consider it over the Babyface though. Phones quality is quite important though.

My point and rightfully so is that conversion happens in the da ad device and there the quality of the clock and syncing and relocking etc is most important. Yes a digiface will send out a steadyclocked optical stream, adat or spdif, but audio quality is about how the external gear deals with this clock. You can not improve any external gear with a better clock, only if it is a bad design without anything comparable to steadyclock, degrade it with a bad external clock.
The beauty of steadyclock fs is that you can no longer degrade a rme device with a bad external clock and that it will carry this optimised clock also on its digital outputs. Again this is somewhat useful on the digiface for that reason, but the clocking quality of the external gear comes first with a big lead. Hope this cleared things up
Cheers!
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam

TomVY wrote:

I'm going to buy the Babyface anyway. But I did consider the Digiface USB and keeping my Metric Halo ULN-2. But I would get a lesser quality phones output when using the Digiface standalone for mobile use. If it had Steadyclock FS I might seriously consider it over the Babyface though. Phones quality is quite important though.

Since the difference between the "normal" (older) Steadyclock and the newer FS version is really not that big, I would primarily look at other features to choose the right interface for you. For example, it might be good to know that the headphone output of the Digiface USB has much less power than that of the BBFproFS. It’s too weak for my Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm. And also the Digiface USB has no standalone mode! It only can keep the current Totalmix state as long it’s powered after switching off the computer.

If I use HD280 headphones (64 ohms) and I like to listen not too loud, wouldn't lower output power mean I can keep the digital volume higher and have more dynamic range?

If standalone mode is important for you, Digiface USB is not designed for standalone mode. (It is possible to run it without computer, but one has to configure it by TotalMix and keep it powered on the whole time since detaching computer.... Possible, but not very convenient....)

Yea that's fine. When I said standalone, I just meant without being connected to the uln-2, which is how I would use it just with headphones. I wouldn't ever use it without a laptop. I realise the ucx II can record without a laptop/pc. It's nice to have that option, but would I ever use it?

I'm still undecided on which to buy, Babyface or Digiface USB. I will be using phones more, so the phones quality is important. But is there a difference in clock drift between Steadyclock and FS? I realise that if I use digital monitors like kh120 II connected by spdif (using toslink to coax converter), both interfaces should be exactly the same? Or will the Digiface USB drift a bit more, and maybe even if it does it's of no consequence. I don't need FX in Totalmix really. I don't need preamps as I have external ones with digital out. So the phones quality and click drift are the only concerns.

If the Digiface USB is the master clock, would the phones output be exactly the same as if the Digiface had the FS clock instead? So does FS only make a difference when it's slaved? As I would mostly use it as master clock, I suppose the only difference between the phones output on the Digiface and Babyface is a different amp, maybe different da converter? If the phones output is good enough for listening not too loud mostly with either hd280 or 650 then maybe I should get that instead of Babyface. Definitely deciding soon anyway smile

The difference between 'old' steadyclock and the FS one is very small. I don’t think that it’s audible. But that’s only my opinion. But for sure the hp out on the Babyface proFS has much more power than the one on the Digiface USB.

So FS has less jitter even in master clock mode? The phones would be ok with hd280 though?

Since MC said "The difference between SteadyClock and FS is INTERNAL clocking quality" in another thread, maybe there is a difference when it's set as master clock. I'm not clear on that though, even after reading various threads here. And if the difference is 'probably' inaudible, then I would just go for FS, as I'm a subscriber to 24 bit dither should be used.

https://www.rme-audio.de/steadyclock-fs.html

TomVY wrote:

Since MC said "The difference between SteadyClock and FS is INTERNAL clocking quality" in another thread, .

Do you know what thread this was?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34869

I've read that link on Steadyclock FS. I suppose an improvement in 'self-jitter' means it's a better clock in master mode than non-fs. If that's definitely the case, I will stick with a FS device.

72 (edited by vinark 2023-11-25 11:58:19)

No it means that old steadyclock ha some self jitter. On internal clock fs has no influence at all. In the past every device worked best on internal clock. Now for the first time with fs, internal and external are equal. That is a interesting improvement when. Clocked external but none when internal.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still a little confused. So the old Steadyclock (one in Digiface USB?) has more self jitter than the Babyface Pro FS? Doesn't that mean it has more jitter when using internal clock?

74 (edited by vinark 2023-11-25 15:53:19)

No steadyclock is only active when in external sync. RME improved on the jitter of steadyclock (when external) and called it FS.

So steadyclock was never about the quality of the clock, but about the capability to reclock to external clocks.
So steadyclock fs is so good you cant measure a difference anymore when internal or external. In the past there was a very small difference and a little more before steadyclock (then it was only PLL). But these measurable differences were always inaudible!
My ADI8AE which does not even have steadyclock, but only PLL, sounds just as great as my Babyface pro FS. I use them both with complete trust.
But if this makes you this anxious you should just go for a FS device, unless you are sure you can let it go once you have a digiface usb.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Ok, thanks. So the I guess the internal clock just gets updated, but not really advertised. In other words the latest oscillator is used, so the older devices will have a less accurate internal clock. So I wouldn't really know if the internal clock in the Digiface is more accurate than the Babyface FS? Just the fact that the Babyface is newer might mean it has a better quartz or whatever?

Regarding "less accurate internal clock".

"Oh, what were they doing before FS Quartze came along? ...."

Well, I wouldn't overestimate it now, technical data or not. We've already discussed this in the forum when the FS Quartz was added to the ADI-2 Pro product line. Measurably better values, but the consensus in the forum was that people (or at least most people) didn't hear it. I would pay more attention to choosing a suitable recording interface that gives you the best benefit for your setup.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It's interesting reading the specs for the different interfaces. Like the Digiface USB has: "Internal clock: 800 ps Jitter, Random Spread Spectrum". The newer devices don't mention any jitter spec for the internal clock. Also the fs seem to have either "Jitter suppression of external clocks: > 50 dB (2.4 kHz)" or "Jitter suppression of external clocks: > 50 dB (> 1 kHz)" or even "Jitter suppression: > 50 dB (> 1 Hz)". I'm not sure if one of the Hz/kHz is a typo? But I'm assuming these differences in spec are because of different clocks.

If I choose to buy just on features I need, then the Digiface might be better. I still Dynaudio BM15 monitors and a Hafler amp, but I'd be looking to replace these with the KH120 IIs. And that would mean I don't need analog xlr out. But as a have a Mteric Halo interface currently (only changing to RME really since I'm moving from Mac to Windows), I'm used to a great clock that came with the 3D card upgrade. So would using phones with the Digiface suddenly sound not as good? That's my main concern on getting it.

It's either Babyface or Digiface, and once I've installed the 2 new Samsung 990 Pro 4TB drives and the Samsung 8TB ssd in my Windows laptop, I'll be needing to decide on one. Looking more like Digiface though. Though I'm not sure hmm

If you can't decide then the reason is that both interfaces are close to each other but none of these really satisfy you.
Even the UCX II was not an option.

To make a long story short .. wink

Get an UFX III, it has everything you need and even more. Excellent analog section and headphone outputs.
There you can connect your Metric Halo via optical SPDIF or AES and the Neve analog.
You have the MADIface driver, FS and everything useful.

Or get the both BF and DF test it for yourself and return in time one of them..... The best is to try it side by side.

80 (edited by vinark 2023-11-25 20:12:09)

If you can afford a ufx3 get that, I agree with Ramses. Best ADDA, best headphones amp, most features and no reason to doubt or worry! Ramses might be surprised I say this lol.

Vincent, Amsterdam

81 (edited by ramses 2023-11-25 20:36:45)

vinark wrote:

If you can afford a ufx3 get that, I agree with Ramses. Best ADDA, best headphones amp, most features and no reason to doubt or worry! Ramses might be surprised I say this lol.

Yes, I am wink well, you got my idea.

I need a portable one. The ufx3 isn't portable and overkill for me. After reading through the specs, including for my current interface, the BF looks better for me. The headphone amp is better and the DF headphone amp would probably be a step down from what I have now. Will probably get that, though not immediately, that is unless rme brings out Babyface Pro FS Plus

83 (edited by ramses 2023-11-25 23:07:49)

TomVY wrote:

I need a portable one. The ufx3 isn't portable and overkill for me. After reading through the specs, including for my current interface, the BF looks better for me. The headphone amp is better and the DF headphone amp would probably be a step down from what I have now. Will probably get that, though not immediately, that is unless rme brings out Babyface Pro FS Plus

The BBF Pro FS is at the edge of what's doable for a USB bus powered interface; therefore, I wouldn't expect a successor with even more ports/features or stronger headphone outputs.

The "larger BBF Pro FS" is the UCX II. With a small bag, the 9.5" format is portable.

The Digiface AES has better specs and is also bus powered.

85 (edited by ramses 2023-11-26 09:50:55)

TomVY wrote:

The Digiface AES has better specs and is also bus powered.

I would not split hair over a few dB here and there.

But it would bring me back to a more basic thing. What types and number of channels do you require?

You told something about two preamps, where one of it can only be connected analog as it seems, the other can be connected by either using AES or optical SPDIF.

With the Digiface AES you would block the two mic inputs if you would use them as line input.

The UCX II is very flexible as it also offers e.g.
- analog inputs and outputs without blocking your two mic/line inputs
- DURec
- connector for ARC USB / DURec on the back
- full implementation of FX section
- loopback implementation pre-fader
- damping of the switch-on crackling
- faster converter on output

Side note, before purchasing a Digiface AES for €1998 I would think about whether portability is that crucial for you.
For €2099 you can get an UFX II and for €2689 you can get an UFX III.
Or for €1376 an UCX II which has more ports and a richer feature set.

86 (edited by vinark 2023-11-26 11:44:28)

ramses wrote:
vinark wrote:

Yes, I am wink well, you got my idea.

Yes I finally got it and his question is I want the best, so we say get the best!
My new motto, if in doubt and can afford it, get the best lol.
Well done Ramsi!
Only he wants portable to make matters more complicated. Well the UFX does not weight a ton...

Vincent, Amsterdam

87 (edited by Kubrak 2023-11-26 12:46:23)

The weight and size is not a real problem, he may hire a porter to carry it. ;-)

The thing for me really was trying to understand the difference between the interfaces with steadyclock compared with fs. The measurements on audiosciencereview show a lot less jitter for fs using internal clock, so I don't think fs only matters when it's receiving a clock as slave. For me I trust measurements more than people saying the difference is inaudible. I don't want the best money can buy. If the Digiface USB phones output has the same spec as the Babyface FS, and if it had Steadyclock FS it would be enough for me. Not sure why you're suggesting UFX III.

89 (edited by ramses 2023-11-26 17:06:15)

I'm beginning to get the impression that you're getting caught up in contradictions. Mobile, bus powered and (now simplified) "the best technical data in all areas" are simply requirements that cannot be easily reconciled.

With the AKM converters of the former ADI-2 Pro FS, the UFX III probably has the best analog section of all recording interfaces. The microphone inputs are in no way inferior to the 12Mic.

In addition, the device is expandable and has a lot of very useful features. The new Room EQ is also coming soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja-qxkIqbWY

Whether and which other products still have enough space / performance reserves in the FPGA is not yet clear. If I were you, I'd get a UFX III, you've got a top product and you're done.

Or a combination of recording interface and ADI-2 Pro FS or ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Those interfaces have too many things I don't need. I don't like spending money unnecessarily. I'm lucky enough to be able to do a job I enjoy. I'll probably go for the Babyface. Thanks for the advice.

91 (edited by ramses 2023-11-26 19:21:38)

I thought you want the best, then you need to be willed to pay not only for quality but also for some features, even if you do not need them. That's life, most products are not exactly to the point in terms of what you require. IMHO better too much, than too few …

I am not sure whether you understood my idea to combine recording interface with a reference converter?
To be on the safe side, I would like to ask whether you saw and understood my idea.
Especially because of the quality, features for monitoring and the attractive form factor of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro series.
ADI-2 DAC/Pro can even run battery powered.

Regarding BBF Pro FS. Not bad, but I would think twice if this is really sufficient.
Because with your two preamps, this interface is full.

I would think twice whether it makes sense to invest this much money and have no reserves in terms of ports if your demands should increase. You have merely a port free for loopback recording. Buying too small is not a good idea.

I think after all this, and your very helpful information, I may hold off until a new Digiface USB FS comes out I think. I honestly don't need all the extra features. I've had a MH uln-2 3d with ethernet, Mio mixer with great plugins, 128 channels over ethernet, usb, ability to add any kind of input/output add-ons to it etc. Its way better than the ufx III in many ways, but I don't use hardly any of these things. I mostly simply use it as a da. I never use the preamps. And this is over the last 8 years. So Im pretty sure I won't need the extra features, and if I do I'll sell the bf or df and get a ufx.

But I wouldn't get the Digiface until it has the better clock and updated headphone amp. Otherwise I'll just simply get the bf in the next few weeks.

94 (edited by TomVY 2023-11-26 22:56:01)

What is the difference between Digiface USB hw rev. G and hw rev. X?

Found the answer.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=37753

Next time I'll search first smile

There's a mistake on the Digiface Ravenna spec page. Where the wordclock specs are, it starts mentioning headphone specs that's already mentioned above. I started thinking it sent wordclock to the headphones. I have a good rate for proof reading.

I decided to buy the Digiface USB with a Black Friday deal. It has a headphones output that should be good enough for what I need. I don't need any mic inputs. I've never used the ones in my uln-2. I will use it with the uln-2 to have analog balanced outs for monitors. If I upgrade to kh120 IIs which I probably will at some point, then I can just use digital outs. But this way, I keep the uln-2, because Metric Halo are great at allowing to update hardware and there's the Edgecard options. I also get to use the newer RME drivers, and can even get 32 sample buffers, not that I'm likely to use that setting often though. But the newer drivers might make adding another rme interface later, or upgrading, a bit easier.

I'm not sure if I'll have the Digiface or uln-2 as the master clock. I'll be using da from the uln-2, except when I'm working in a mobile capacity. But having the Digiface as master might cause less complications for changing sample rate.

I still don't really know if the quartz in the Digiface is the same one used in the Babyface Pro FS. I might have to open it up just to satisfy my curiosity. Unless someone can tell me?

Sorry Ramses that I didn't get the ufx III. I could never justify it for what I need. If I do need extra features later, I can maybe get that or just have the options with the uln-2.

If anyone can answer on the quartz used in Digiface that would save me some time. Thanks.

98 (edited by ramses 2023-11-28 12:20:40)

TomVY wrote:

Sorry Ramses that I didn't get the ufx III. I could never justify it for what I need. If I do need extra features later, I can maybe get that or just have the options with the uln-2.

No sorry needed. Most important is, that you found a solution and that you are happy with it.

To explain myself a little, why I recommended finally the UFX III with really the best intentions (although it is pricier than a Digiface USB).

At a certain point, you considered getting a Digiface AES, which alone costs around €2000, and you also paid a lot of attention to technical details. In doing so, you have shown that you are less interested in money than in a technically high-quality solution that meets as many of your requirements as possible. The only thing is that, as I said, some things are ruled out if a device also has to work bus-powered.

So, it were your statements (and the existence of your other high-quality devices) that appeared as if you were weighting every single from technical data for your final decisioning process.

Therefore, I had simply the impression that an UFX III could be the "tiebreaker" to address most if not all of your requirements (except mobility) otherwise I had the impression that we are running in circles.

My statement stays, it is never wrong to have some more ports which give you options based on personal experience.
Initially, I also didn't use all ports of my UFX+ now UFX III. Meanwhile, e.g. all analogue ports are in use because I decided to buy external FX and some other stuff around that. And some useful features you only get with the bigger devices.

99 (edited by TomVY 2023-11-28 11:03:47)

I did want to get one with the best specs. But specs will be better in a year and although the Digiface doesn't have the femto clock (though if anyone anywhere could clarify this, as I'm still not sure if fs means different quartz crystal or just different circuit) I can just upgrade later if I feel the quality of the phones is lacking slightly.

IMHO quartz crystal does not matter much, it has lots of drift either way.... What matters is how it is used. IMHO the circuitry around quartz is what matters....