Topic: Using 2 UFX units with 1 computer

Hello all,
I’ll try and be brief.
I have a UFX connected with FireWire on main computer.
I have a second UFX unit currently in use on another computer for my keyboard rig.
Is it possible to use both units together on 1 computer, not necessarily simultaneously?
1 unit plugged into FireWire, second unit plugged into usb?
Both on FireWire?
These are both original UFX units.

Thanks in advance

Re: Using 2 UFX units with 1 computer

It should be possible to use two UFXs on one computer. I do not know about Mac, but on PC USB and FW do have separate drivers, so it would be more convenient to use the same type of connection USB/FW on given computer....

If you intend to use the second UFX also with second computer, it might cause problems if you power on the both computers. Even without powering on there might be ground loops causing problems and so... One has to try....

3 (edited by maggie33 2023-11-25 09:14:45)

As a FF800 (via Firewire) and a FF802 (via USB) worked on my mac (even simultaneously) without any problems, your both UFX'es should also do.

PS: Be sure to sync the two devices (via Wordclock f. ex) if you want to use them as aggregated devices on MacOs

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

It will work simultaneously on PC to use USB and FW, but it will use two drivers. In many programs one will be able to choose one or other but not the both at the same time. And there is no agregate device wrapper like on Mac in Win to "glue" two drivers into one virtual.

This sounds promising!
I am on a Mac and want to use a single computer.
An aggravate device using both units would be great.

Would there be two instances of TotalMix open since that is tied to specific unit?

I am currently clocking 2 adat units w BNC, so un-terminate the last adat unit and continue to second UFX, which also has 2 adat units attached?

Chaining both together via FireWire sounds like the beat option according to Kubrak.

So, I’m going to sit on this and gather some more input.
I would love to just try it out, but I have to disassemble my entire keyboard rig to pull the second UFX unit since it is not located close enough to run a cable to test.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge

6 (edited by waedi 2023-11-25 14:52:54)

Yes, 2 Totalmix
Yes, the clocking chain as you described should work.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

7 (edited by maggie33 2023-11-26 10:22:21)

Chaining both together via FireWire sounds like the beat option according to Kubrak.

I assume, you have the legacy UFX Units - each with Firewire 400 and USB2 Port?
I think you will get into bandwidth problems, if you chain both UFX'es via one Firewire400 Bus into one port on the Mac.

From your manual on page 25:

In real-world an operation of more than one Fireface UFX makes no sense and is therefore not actively supported by RME. Each further unit would lead to problems on the USB and FireWire bus, caused by the high number of channels. The UFX has been developed as monitor control- ler and – not extendable – digital mixer. It makes more sense to connect external converters to the ADAT I/Os of the UFX, adding up to 16 channels of analog record and analog playback.

I would make sure they are connected seperate into their own USB/FW Busses on your Mac.

Even if it is not officially supported by RME - As I wrote in my last post: One (FF800) was connected via FW400 and the other (FF802) via USB2 in my case - worked without Problems as an aggregated Device... (But i never had Ultra-high-Bandwidth Situations, like 192kHz and all Channels from both Units used at the same time, etc...)

PS: You can even now check out the behaviour in TotalmixFX (as it would be connected) - via: -> Menu -> Options -> Offline Device Setup...

“Do It For Her”

Kubrak wrote:

It will work simultaneously on PC to use USB and FW, but it will use two drivers. In many programs one will be able to choose one or other but not the both at the same time. And there is no agregate device wrapper like on Mac in Win to "glue" two drivers into one virtual.

I never tested it with RME Devices, but long time ago, i used asio4all.org drivers to aggregate different HW Units on Win. Although it seems to be far away from a professional solution - maybe it is useful for someone here wink

“Do It For Her”

I have FF 802 and FF UCX using common driver and USB. And Digiface USB on another driver also using USB. And no problem. But I do not use 192 kHz.

It seems to me that RME manual says that up to three devices may be used on one driver.

But if in doubts or facing bandwitch problems, no problem to use USB for one interface and FW for the other. And agregate device.

maggie33 wrote:

I never tested it with RME Devices, but long time ago, i used asio4all.org drivers to aggregate different HW Units on Win. Although it seems to be far away from a professional solution - maybe it is useful for someone here wink

Well, yes one could do it. But one would loose RME stability of drivers and I think that ASIO4All is a wrapper of non-ASIO drivers...

11 (edited by ramses 2023-11-26 13:06:02)

ASIO4ALL is nothing for a professional and supported environment.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 35#p207735

Typical use case if you have a professional recording interface with ASIO driver but also one or more USB microphones.
As you might know, a recording/audio application / DAW can only load one audio driver, so you can't use the USB mics.

The proper solution is to use the ASIO driver for the recording interface and to buy real mics and to sell the USB mics.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I do not have practical experience with this, but it seems way superior to ASIO4ALL. At least from interface point of view.

https://vb-audio.com/Matrix/index.htm

Also virtual audio cables by the same developer may be handy on Win.

13 (edited by ramses 2023-11-26 15:24:31)

Kubrak wrote:

I do not have practical experience with this, but it seems way superior to ASIO4ALL. At least from interface point of view.

https://vb-audio.com/Matrix/index.htm

Also virtual audio cables by the same developer may be handy on Win.

Also with such a solution you add something to the signal chain.
It is no direct access of the ASIO driver to the recording interface anymore.
Also the audio streams coming through different drivers wouldn't be in synch.

With Apple, it's a different story, there you have no direct access to the HW anyway, nothing like an ASIO driver.
Here all needs to go through the Apple audio system and aggregation is part of it.
And as far as I remember Jeff doesn't seem to be against it to use aggregation with Apple.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This has been informative and helpful.
I gather that this should work with OSX as an aggregate device.
I ordered a 30’ USB extension cable to give it a quick test before committing to disassembling and moving unit.
I am going to try connecting this on USB while the other unit is connected over FireWire.
I’ll post back with the results.
Thanks for the input.