Topic: Digiface USB ADAT to ADAT latency

Does somebody know, how much is the latency from ADAT input to ADAT output in Digiface USB? It must be at least one sample to do the matrix calculations, but maybe it is more.... Safety buffers and so....

I do not mean the latency for data transferred via USB, but just the internal HW latency ADAT in to ADAT out. I ask because I use Digiface as digital patchbay for effects, so the signal circulates throught Digiface several times if more effects are used in series....

Re: Digiface USB ADAT to ADAT latency

I can't give you an exact number, but I've done physical loop back via ADAT on multiple RME interfaces and can't perceive an audible difference. Even when looping more than once, I can't perceive an audible difference.

Currently I send my mic from a UFX+ to a HDPSe MADI FX over MADI, physically loop the signal back over the Coaxial MADI connection twice for processing, and send it back to my UFX+ for monitoring. No audible delay or difference vs directly monitoring the signal on the UFX+. Monitoring my own voice is where it would be most noticeable as well. The delay must be microscopic.

Basically, I don't think it's relevant.

2x MADI FX | Digiface Dante | Fireface UFX+ | ADI-192 DD

The added delay will be too small (few samples at most) to hear it on signal.

But I can hear difference when I A/B dry signal and mix of dry signal and dry signal that "circulates" via several ADAT connections.... It should be two the same signals (if everything travels right), but slightly delayed to each other....

So, it has raised my question about the amount of delay in DF USB unit. Maybe the cause lies somevhere else. E.g. bypassed signal by Eventide unit is not 100% identical or is delayed there much more than in DF.... One would have to experiment...

Loop the interface in and out and measure the difference. Any delay above that when using the outboard device is down to that

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

There's no buffer in Totalmix, the delay will be just a couple of samples.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks, that is what I expected. And do you know how many samples? ADAT in to DATA out.

I use Digiface in a way, that signal goes via it several times. It goes from audiointerface to DF, from DF to effect1 and back to DF, from there to effect 2 and back to DF and finaly to audiointerface....

Hello!

You can check that by using Reaper 's "ReaInsert" plugin.
It 's a plugin for using hardware as inserts, so there 's a "ping" fuction in it, that calculates the RTL.

Even if you don't use Reaper, you can download it just for that!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Are these effects devices connected digitally with ADAT I/O? Or is conversion involved?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

All goes ADAT, no A/D D/A involved in effects. Those are Eventide H8000 and Eclipse. The only A/D is on sound source (using FF 802 or UCX) and the only D/A is for monitoring (FF UCX).

Eventides and FFs are interconnected by Digiface USB.

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

You can check that by using Reaper 's "ReaInsert" plugin.
It 's a plugin for using hardware as inserts, so there 's a "ping" fuction in it, that calculates the RTL.

Even if you don't use Reaper, you can download it just for that!

I might try, or just send signal to Digiface and connect inputs and otputs. I could make it go four times via DF and see how much delay it makes.

But do check you eventides too, I suspect they will have much more latency then the digiface

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

They may, but I talk about bypass mode in Eventide. If they are on one may forget about one sample here and there....

RTL Utility for Windows and Mac:

https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC, it may be handy.

But what interests me in this case is not RTL. It involves SW, USB and mostly all the buffers, interrupts and so. I would like to know what is the signal delay from DF ADAT input to DF ADAT otput, no computer, USB, software, driver involved. Just the delay in HW and DF internal DSP calculation of signal matrix from ADAT input to ADAT output.

I use DF without computer. Or use computer just to change the sigmal matrix in DF. The audiosignal does not go from and/or to computer in my use case.