Topic: Analog playback in RIAA mode regardless of the USB sampling frequency

Hi experts,

When I turn on my ADI-2/4, the sample rate defaults to 768 khz. In RIAA mode the sample rate must be less than or equal to 192 khz. The 768 khz when switching on comes from the USB port. An Intel NUC PC with the "Roon Optimized Core Kit" operating system running the "ROON Server Software" is plugged into the USB port of the ADI-2/4. The sample frequency on the USB connection can only be changed by playing a track with the desired sample frequency in ROON. I play a track with a sampling frequency of less than or equal to 192 khz and then I can also listen to records in RIAA mode. But that's a bit complicated. The PC operating system does not allow the default sample frequency to be set for ROON being idle.

That's why my question to the experts here: How can I make myself independent of the USB connection in RIAA mode without pulling out the USB plug?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question but I am not an expert :-).

Thanks and kind regards
Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf

Re: Analog playback in RIAA mode regardless of the USB sampling frequency

You could use a “Setup”  in ADI-2 that you recall for analog turntable.

You can store and use a “Setup” for each input.

Read manual page 29 (DAC), 30 (Pro) or 29 (2/4 Pro SE).
Loading certain “Setups” can be assigned to a button push on the device or remote.
Read manual page 26 (DAC), 28 (Pro) or 30 (2/4 Pro SE).
Watch out:
The  “Remap key” configuration is part of each individual “Setup” and needs to be set for each individual “Setup”.
This can be used to toggle through 2 or more Setups with one single button.

Works like this:
As the button assignment isn’t global, but part of each “Setup”, you can even have different assignments to the same button in each Setup - a nice feature that we can use for the following:
Choose ONE single button that you usually don’t need.
In Setup 1 assign: “load Setup 2”
In Setup 2 assign: “load Setup 1”
Now this single button toggles between both Setups.

This method can be extended to load even more Setups if needed, like:
In Setup 1 assign: “load Setup 2”
In Setup 2 assign: “load Setup 3”
In Setup 3 assign: “load Setup 4”
In Setup 4 assign: “load Setup 1”
Now the single button circles through Setup 1-4, clever, isn’t it?!

As for loading Setups ADI-2 asks for confirmation, a double-push is needed to execute the load.
Holding the button more than 1s, the button‘s original function is available.
Therefore I typically assign the SETUP button to load Setups – sic!

Hi Kai,

KaiS wrote:

You could use a “Setup”  in ADI-2 that you recall for analog turntable.!

I tried this, but when I switch off and on the device, then reload the previously stored new 96 khz "Vinyl" setup the sampling frequency remains on 768 khz. The samling frequency is not stored respectively reloaded in the setup :-(

Anyway, nice idea about cycling through the different setups.

Thanks and best regards
Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf

MC in some threads mentioned, that with plugged in USB the device always follows the samplerate coming over USB.
In my case I use a Pi as a transport and I have the same issue. As I have a central switch for my equipment, I use a switchable power cable for the Pi to switch it of in case of listening to vinyl, before I switch on the main switch.
When having forgotten to act in that way I shortly switch to RCA input an start a CD in order to get the SF back from 768.
I would really be happy if MC could change this, yet he always firmly stated the impossibility. Have a good Sunday.

Cheers, Ernst

ADI-2 PRO FS R BE / ADI-2 DAC FS / some old multibit treasuers ;-)

5 (edited by raschmo 2023-11-19 13:02:46)

Hi Ernst,

Thanks for your answer! You understood my problem and by switching to RCA and starting a CD you obviously came to a similar solution as I by starting a track on my server. I'm assuming that my Linux-based server OS doesn't behave as gracefully as your Pi when turning off power ;-) So turning off my NUC that way isn't an option for me. Maybe you could point me to the post where MC commented on the issue? I also contacted the ROON forum. The first answer there says that this is a DAC problem. Honestly I don't think so, but anyway it remains a small issue for me as the rest of this setup works absolutely brilliantly.

Kind Regards
Ralf

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-11-19 14:31:01)

raschmo wrote:
KaiS wrote:

You could use a “Setup”  in ADI-2 that you recall for analog turntable.!

I tried this, but when I switch off and on the device, then reload the previously stored new 96 khz "Vinyl" setup the sampling frequency remains on 768 khz. The samling frequency is not stored respectively reloaded in the setup :-(

A connected USB’s sample rate indeed is dominant in all modes.

This is logical and unavoidable, as ADI-2 always offers offers the input signal for recording through USB.

Playing a little 192 kHz file probably is the best and fastest way to switch SR – same as I do when listening to vinyl.

Hi Ralf, such threads come and go. You would have to search for them, as I would have to do so as well.

Cheers, Ernst

8 (edited by raschmo 2023-11-19 15:57:00)

Got it: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 54#p195054

I think I will have to ask Intel or ROON about their "stupid external hardware/software ..., always using/setting the max sample rate as default" :-)

Guys, let us forget about this topic! I can easily live with it as it is.

Kind Regards
Ralf

If you change your ADI-2/4 to Multichannel mode the highest sample rate is 192 kHz. Tried that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I did meanwhile and it works for ADI2PRO as well. Thanks a lot for this :-)

Cheers, Ernst

MC wrote:

If you change your ADI-2/4 to Multichannel mode the highest sample rate is 192 kHz. Tried that?

Works for me too :-) Thank you very much!

Kind Regards
Ralf

12 (edited by raschmo 2023-11-30 18:01:38)

raschmo wrote:
MC wrote:

Works for me too :-) Thank you very much!

...but now I get these "overload" Level indicators for AES and SPDIF.

https://u.cubeupload.com/raschmo/PXL20231130132438598.jpg

Can someone tell me if this is critical or how I can get rid of it? Out of caution I do not use the Multichannel mode anymore.

When I switch back to CC mode "Stereo" there is no more overload.

Kind Regards
Ralf

It is harmless unless you connect anything to the AES and SPDIF outputs. The display shows that your USB source sends out junk on those output channels. You could loopback that stuff to record and analyze it. Or just ignore it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is harmless unless you connect anything to the AES and SPDIF outputs. The display shows that your USB source sends out junk on those output channels. You could loopback that stuff to record and analyze it. Or just ignore it.

Thanks again!

Kind Regards
Ralf