1 (edited by analogue 2023-12-02 17:28:23)

Topic: Differences between modes: USB stereo vs DAC mode

Hi,

I just received my ADI-2/4 Pro SE, and I'm wondering what are the actual differences between those 2 modes:

- USB ("17.4.1 Class Compliant Stereo mode" in the manual)
- DAC ("17.6 DAC" in the manual)

I'm simply using it via USB with a balanced headphone on the Pentaconn, and wondering which mode to use.

I already read <https://www.hifizine.com/2019/01/rme-ad … nal-modes/> but I still don't get it. Sorry if this might be obvious to all of you ^^;

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-02 18:52:59)

Re: Differences between modes: USB stereo vs DAC mode

USB Mode (stereo or multichannel) gives access to all I/Os individually, with additional routing options for use as DAW audio interface.

DAC Mode is my preferred one for home use, with simpler user interface.
E.g. source selection is common for all outs.

DAC mode resembles ADI-2 DAC’s user interface, without ignoring ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s extras, of course.

Compare the block diagrams manual pages 42/43 and 46 to see the differences.
They are easier to understand than the hifizine’s IMO.

Ok so it's a many-inputs-to-many-ouputs for USB mode, and many-inputs-to-one-output for DAC mode.
So by using USB-to-Pentaconn, both modes are processed the same, except DAC mode has simpler UI because it offers less choices.
Makes more sense, thanks!

Exactly.

These “Modes“, to my knowledge, are a unique and in all cases very clever and useful feature for an AD-DA.
In some way you have, within the hardware limits, a multitude of devices for many purposes at hand.

Not to forget:
RME has optimized the ADI-2 series through many years, and even 1st generation versions benefit from the firmware improvements.