Topic: ADI-2 Audio Stutter and Bugs with Current driver (Windows)

I recently got a new computer and installed the latest windows drivers.  The problem is I've been getting random brief audio dropouts a few times a minute.  Also sometimes the audio will become distortedly high pitched until I reconnect the DAC.

Uninstalling the drivers and using the default Windows drivers fixes the issue.  Anyone know what's going on with the official drivers? Are there older drivers I can try?  I tried changing the buffer settings; but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My firmware version is 51 on a gen 1 ADI-2.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-12-03 04:45:18)

Re: ADI-2 Audio Stutter and Bugs with Current driver (Windows)

Unclear what you do.
What interface is in use ?
What Computer OS ?
How is the ADI-2 connected ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

It's Windows 11 and it's connected via USB.  It's the ADI-2 DAC if that wasn't clear.

The firmware should be 81, you can do the flash update with the current FUT
The actual driver is the 09827.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

It's 59 and that won't help. Check the computer for performance with Latency Mon, and the Settings dialog for USB errors. Make sure default sample rate is not set to too high values.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Marc_G2 2023-12-03 16:56:04)

LatencyMon doesn't report any issues.  Setting the audio down to 16bit at 44k didn't fix it either.  Where exactly should I be checking for USB errors?

Also I went ahead and updated the firmware for the heck of it.  It didn't fix it.

7 (edited by rawac 2023-12-03 17:12:52)

Marc_G2 wrote:

... Where exactly should I be checking for USB errors? ...

http://www.rawac.de/bilder/RME/USB_Diagnose.jpg

For more details see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 31#p180831

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

8 (edited by Marc_G2 2023-12-03 18:14:24)

Ah I see.  The error count is the top number.  I seem to be getting errors every time the audio drops out.  It doesn't report an error when the audio gets distorted.

Also setting the buffer to the max doesn't fix it.

9 (edited by Marc_G2 2023-12-03 19:43:49)

If I leave LatencyMon running long enough, it reports a high latency with the "DPC routine execution time"   "dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel,". 
But I don't see why the graphics subsystem would impact USB audio.

Also to reiterate, the stock Windows drivers don't have this problem.  My USB to SPDIF adapter running at 192k, 24bit also work fine with the ADI-2.   

Are there older drivers I can try?  I couldn't find them for download.

10 (edited by Marc_G2 2023-12-04 04:26:38)

After more thorough testing, it looks like the popping still occurs when using default drivers or a USB to SPDIF adapter with the ADI-2.  They're just less noticeable compared to when using the official drivers.  I confirmed it by playing a plain sine tone. 

I'm using a Strix Scar 2023, R9 7945HX, w/ RTX4070.  I've already tried updating all my drivers and everything.  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.  LatencyMon doesn't show any high any high delays except when reconnecting devices.
https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-str … _download/

So far the only thing that's gotten rid of the audio pops is using my Chord Mojo with official usb drivers.  But I'd really like to be able to use my ADI-2 as well obviously.

Update:
Using WASAPI also seems to fix the issue.  But most of time that option for me.
Also the frequency of drops is less when running at 44k.

So far I've found two devices that don't seem to affected.  Chord Mojo and (nevermind I spoke too soon)