51 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-05 14:14:58)

Re: Configuration recommendation iPAD/ADI/NAD

The only way to find out is listening to both variants to hear which one is better and maybe do an FFT measurement to see which one is more linear.

Now that you have all the XLR cables smile it’s not too much effort I think.
You don’t need to change any settings, just the HP-Filter frequency for the mains inside the sub.

For a quick change-over within a few seconds, A/B testing:

• For the XLR-only “mains HP-filtered” version:
First plug all 4 XLR ends into the sub.
Then unplug the RCAs on the sub’s side, but leave the RCA’s plugged in ADI-2 DAC.

• To switch to the “mains direct” variant:
First plug the RCAs into the sub.
Then unplug the 4 XLRs from the sub, and plug the free XLRm XLRf ends together (don’t accidentally reverse left/right, have a tape marking).

The plug/unplug order is intentional, it avoids loud noise when the sub’s are not switched off during the RCA replugging.

BTW: the Reveal manual for the B112 software gives comprehensive advice how to adjust the sub using measurement software.
Interestingly they refer to AudioTools FFT app too!

KaiS wrote:

The only way to find out is listening to both variants to hear which one is better and maybe do an FFT measurement to see which one is more linear.

You don’t need to change any settings, just the HP-Filter frequency for the mains inside the sub.

Then unplug the RCAs on the sub’s side, but leave the RCA’s plugged in ADI-2 DAC.

Then unplug the 4 XLRs from the sub, and plug the free XLRm XLRf ends together (don’t accidentally reverse left/right, have a tape marking).

The plug/unplug order is intentional, it avoids loud noise when the sub’s are not switched off during the RCA replugging.

BTW: the Reveal manual for the B112 software gives comprehensive advice how to adjust the sub using measurement software.

ok let me do this and report back here.

plusacht wrote:
KaiS wrote:

ok let me do this and report back here.

So finally got some time in doing the test - when I use the XLR cables directly into the sub I am getting a noise (white noise) in the front loudspeakers. I tried without Attenuators as well but it is the same. Any idea why this happens?

54 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-09 18:43:25)

plusacht wrote:

[So finally got some time in doing the test - when I use the XLR cables directly into the sub I am getting a noise (white noise) in the front loudspeakers. I tried without Attenuators as well but it is the same. Any idea why this happens?

The noise must origin from the sub‘s internal electronics - is it faint or loud, left AND right?

To verify that, disconnect ADI-2 from the sub.
Noise still there?

The passive attenuators should be placed directly at the NAD power amp’s inputs.
This way they can attenuate all kinds of noise into inaudible.

One stupid question, not very likely:
Isn‘t there a calibration software built into the sub?
Might be it‘s pink noise generator is active?