Topic: Totalmix suddenly stopped opening (RME 802)

Hello my Totalmix no longer will open. I noticed it today. I have an RME 802 Nothing is new as far as I am running Ableton 11 and on Mac 12.7.1 Intel. I thought perhaps it needed an update so I updated the driver to 4.09 (gave permissions and restarted of course). It is still not opening.

Appreciate any help here.

Re: Totalmix suddenly stopped opening (RME 802)

Prior to the driver upgrade the firmware should have been updated.
Install the 328 driver for being able to perform the flash update, after success install the new driver 409 again.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Sorry I don't understand the 2nd sentence. I did install using the flash - the firmware is v20, driver is v4.09

4 (edited by waedi 2023-12-06 00:14:55)

Sure the device is not in CC-mode ?

What is CC-mode? It's a Fireface 802 I have never seen this.

6 (edited by waedi 2023-12-06 00:21:46)

It has a CC-mode, see page 90 in the user manual.
But it should not be the problem as the connection to the computer should turn off CC-mode.
Is the fireface settings dialog opening ?

Thank you. Yes the settings dialog is opened. One question - I have the older 802 which is both USB and Firewire. I was a little unclear which driver I was supposed to download, there is an option for FW and USB. Does it matter? I did USB and I connect via USB.

8 (edited by waedi 2023-12-06 00:28:28)

yes it matters. You have installed the USB driver and connected over USB, that's all right.

Have you tried different cable and on all USB ports ?
Directly at the computer without hubs ?

Also check in the system preferences / Security & Privacy / Microphone : Is Totalmix in the list and enabled ? It should.

Yes, tried a different cable and port. Not using a hub. The USB light on the Fireface is lit up, and when I turn on ableton it is recognized and audible. It just refuses to load Totalmix.

That's exactly the behavior when in CC-mode.
The Microphone access is open for Totalmix ?

11 (edited by hierokon 2023-12-06 00:44:38)

How would I turn off CC-mode? I have no idea how it would be on. I never heard of it.
Microphone access? Totalmix doesn't open at all so nothing is accessible. But when I open ableton I can select the interface and I can route sound in through the soundcard if that is what you mean? (Appreciate the help, I am really mystified.)

Also check in the system preferences / Security & Privacy / Microphone : Is Totalmix in the list and enabled ? It should.

13 (edited by hierokon 2023-12-06 01:17:24)

Yep, I did the security & privacy thing and Sound Input (assuming that is what you mean by microphone) is on the list.
When I try to select Totalmix there's a sort of stutter on the screen, like it is trying to load but something won't allow it. (I turned off any extensions too.)

No, Microphone is a point for its own in the Security&Privacy preferences.
In there is a list of applications who need access to Microphone.
Unfortunately the name Microphone is misleading chosed by Apple, they should call it Core-Audio.

Ah ok thank you for explaining that. So I went to microphone and Totalmix is not on the list!

That's the problem.
Not for the first. time.
Its a problem with driver installation.
Please try the driver installation again and follow carefully all instructions.

Ok so just to be clear because I have installed several times now the driver to no avail -
Do I delete Totalmix entirely? Then do I reinstall the firmware using Fireface Flash, and then final step install the Driver?

18 (edited by waedi 2023-12-06 01:39:31)

No you can leave Totalmix there and the firmware is up-to-date no need to do flash update.
There must be one step in the installation where it has failed.
When a popup window appears and it has a button OK, don't click it !
Instead click "open Security&Privacy".
There you have to click ALLOW

And at the end make a cold reboot of the computer.
Shut down (no restart) and then restart after a few moments.

I did everything as directed but a cold reboot as it says the software in order to be installed has to restart first. So I let it restart. And then I turned it back off. It is still not working. sad

20 (edited by waedi 2023-12-06 02:28:31)

Totalmix is still not listed in the Microphone applications ?
If so, installation went wrong, still.
I would try install the 328 driver.

OK I will give that a go. Thank you.

I am afraid it doesn't work sad

The Settings Dialog app does work but Totalmix doesn't.
That is strange.
May be it's more simple as we think.
broken USB cable !

We already tried another cable... it wasn't that

Then back to software, Microphone access.
Totalmix is not listed there, right ?
Then it can't work, obvious.
You are on BigSur, is it possible to add Totalmix manually there ?
In Security&Privacy there is this padlock at the bottom, you have to open it.
Then in the Microphone list at the bottom, is there a plus in a box ? click and and select Totalmix for adding.
I'm not sure if this is possible in BigSur, it was possible in older OS and Apple changed it in one of the newer ones.
Try

If 802 is in Class Compliant mode, than TotalMix does not run. I guess, I do not use CC mode.... So, OP should ensure himself 802 is not in CC mode, first.

Also, I have experienced few times TM did not appear, but it was usually that also the driver setup was not accesible. Usually rebooting computer has helped. Once I had reinstall driver (includes TM). If I remember well, I had to uninstall TM and drivers first. Just reinstall without uninstall did not seem to work for me because of unknown reason. But maybe I did something wrongly and uninstall was not needed....

I am on Monteray. Totalmix is not listed there. I am afriad there is not option to add Totalmix.

I don't believe it is in Class Compliant mode.. I didn't even know what that is until this happened. How do I ensure I am not in it? (I am total noob with CC so please walk me through)

I have tried uninstalling (deleting all the files, extensions etc) and re-installing multiple times and rebooting...

Whenever I try to click Totalmix is flickers as if it is trying to load but something is not allowing it.

28 (edited by waedi 2023-12-06 21:08:04)

Is SIP disabled ? I would do so.
I did on Monterey and never changed, upgraded thru Ventura to Sonoma, no problem.
SIP is a protection in the Apple system. It does not protect the computer FOR you, it does protect the computer FROM you and your non-apple software. German software is danger for America.
Restart your Mac.
Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R, and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: crucial disable or enable
The terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled / enabled.
From the menu, select Restart.
Then install driver again.

29 (edited by hierokon 2023-12-06 23:48:23)

Afraid disabling the SIP didn't work either, thanks for trying.

I did figure out a couple things though that are strange. So I logged into a different user account on my mac and Totalmix opens there. So something on my primary user account (where I work) is interfering. The second strange thing is that I hooked up my secondary RME interface UCXII (used for travel) to my iMac and on my primary user account Totalmix opens for it. So something is interfering when I prompt the Totalmix to open with the Fireface 802 connected... I went into my user settings and there are no outside apps at start up. It is so strange.

30 (edited by waedi 2023-12-07 00:26:47)

Oh !
The 802 works fine in a guest account.
Then the CC-mode and cable are definitiv off the list.
In the guest account in the Microphone access list, Totalmix is there and enabled, correct ?

What you also can try : Disk-utilities programm and select the MacHD volumen and make disk repair.

And what is your other RME device? Does it use the same driver as 802 or different one? Some types of RME devices share the same driver, other share different driver(s).

I am on Win so it might be a bit different on Mac, but I have the feeling that TM appears only if at least one of two RME drivers I use connects to (sees) RME device.

32 (edited by hierokon 2023-12-07 16:57:58)

Yeh, so strange it works on the guest account. On the guest account it still doesn't show on the Microphone access list. But the unit is totally working.
Tried the Disk utilities repair and it didn't bring any results I am afraid.
The other device is a UCXII.

33 (edited by maggie33 2023-12-11 05:17:37)

@waedi

waedi wrote:

It does not protect the computer FOR you, it does protect the computer FROM you and your non-apple software. German software is danger for America.

With all respect! You seem to be an experienced user. But i wonder that the conspiracy theory of generally disabling SIP is a good idea still seems to exist. Its like if someone would dismount a smoke alarm sensor just because it always beeps because he wants to grill his steak in the living room...

Please, NEVER EVER advise other people to generally disable SIP.

Temporary - under certain circumstances, if you know what you are doing - okay. But please turn SIP back to enabled as soon as possible. Sure - hackintosh'es, legacy patched macs, must live with certain SIP-disabled-parts. - But these are "parts".

You can get a basic overview here: https://www.heise.de/ratgeber/System-In … 46690.html

@hierokon

General Fact:  Microphone access is never necessary for an app to be able to open
My TMFX did never had explicit access to Microphone - and it opens - and its able to record from all its Inputs.

1. Enable SIP again (if you disabled it before)

2. Install the latest DriverKit Driver v4.09 (if you previously installed v328)

3. login with your primary user account

4. Be 100% sure the FF802 is in Driver-based Mode by:

Method 1)
open Audio Midi Setup (/System/Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app) and there the Audio Devices Window:
--> Your FF802 shows 22 Channels for I/Os in CC Mode
--> Your FF802 shows 30 Channels for I/Os in Driver-based Mode

Method 2) /Applications/Fireface USB Settings.app
--> If it does not open: you are in CC Mode
--> If it opens: you are in Driver-based Mode

5. Report your results from steps 1-4 here, just to be able to understand

6. If you are in Driver-based Mode and TM does still not open:
   6.a. Copy "/Users/<your primary user account>/Library/Application Support/RME TotalMix FX" directory to desktop (just for backup)
   6.b. Delete all contents from "/Users/<your primary user account>/Library/Application Support/RME TotalMix FX" directory

7. Download latest TMFX (1.90b1) from here: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_190b1.zip

8. Replace it with /Applications/Totalmix.app

9. Reboot and login with your primary user account

10. Open /Applications in Finder

11. Right-click then open the Totalmix.app from there (!!Important to really right-click it!!)

12. If there are still problems - please report all results from each step here

regards, maggie

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

34 (edited by hierokon 2023-12-11 18:58:45)

Hi @maggie33

Thank you so much for walking me through this. I followed all your instructions and it is still not working. Here are the results (note step 6!)

1. YES

2. YES

3. YES

4. YES (In Driver-based Mode)

6. I went to this file and there was no "RME TotalMix FX" directory!

7. YES

8. YES

9. YES

10. YES

11. YES, still flickers like it is trying to open but doesn't

6. I went to this file and there was no "RME TotalMix FX" directory!

This is really strange.

Anyhow…

Does the direcrory exist in your guest users home/Library/Application Support/ dir?
Try to create the directory in your main users dir manually?
Does the (global) Directory exist in /Library/Application Support/
Maybe your access rights are not ok?

Another idea: can you look deeper in your Console app? Maybe there are some hints what the Problem could be.

Your Answers help me Just to understand….

“Do It For Her”

36 (edited by hierokon 2023-12-12 19:15:21)

This is so utterly bizarre but I went back to check all my Users and the directory for Totalmix as you suggested and this time the Totalmix was there in my main profile!* So I erased the files as suggest and I tried to open again, but it didn't work. BUT then I went and re-downloaded 4.09 and for the first time in a week, my Totalmix opened onto my computer. Incredible. Thank you so much!

One weird thing I wanted to note is that following the download and install of Totalmix 4.09 I got a slightly different pop up message than usual. It is usually one regarding giving permissions in Security and Privacy for RME's software. This time I got one that said "System Extension Blocked: A program tried to load a new system extension(s) signed by "Elektron Music Machines MAB AB" that need to be update d by developer" Which is really strange because obviously I was installing a RME's software, not Elektrons. Maybe this Elektron thing was interfering in some way?

Thanks again for all your help.

*adding that I went back to >Library and realized that oddly there are two Application support files, which explains why I did not see it the first time. One is /Application Support (has the directory) and another is /ApplicationSupport. The latter seems to have only one file in it which is odd.

37 (edited by maggie33 2023-12-13 07:48:35)

Congrats wink

BUT then I went and re-downloaded 4.09 and for the first time in a week, my Totalmix opened onto my computer. Incredible.

-> So you did not have v4.09 DK Driver properly installed. Or you had artifacts from v328.

This time I got one that said "System Extension Blocked: A program tried to load a new system extension(s) signed by "Elektron Music Machines MAB AB" that need to be update d by developer" Which is really strange because obviously I was installing a RME's software, not Elektrons. Maybe this Elektron thing was interfering in some way?

1) No, Elektron Overbridge had/has nothing to do with the RME Drivers or TM.
2) At the moment when you installed RMEs v4.09 DK Driver, the kextcache has been touched (and rebuilt). This means, the System checks all Extensions after reboot. So, it recognized that the Elektron Overbridge SW (and extensions) wants to load.  Anyhow, just to explain: the "old" Overbridge kext is located in /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext
2a) If you still need and use Overbridge -> check the Elekton Website to get an updated version
2b) If not, uninstall it properly (as i remember, there is a "how to uninstall-guide" anywhere in the elektron installation files or on their website)

3) In case you still have problems, You can check the current KextPolicy contents by executing the sqlite3 command to /private/var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy and firing a "SELECT * FROM kext_policy;" statement.
-> But i think its not worth to diving deeper into this atm, its another topic. Just let me know if steps 2a) or 2b) didnt work or you need further help.

*adding that I went back to >Library and realized that oddly there are two Application support files, which explains why I did not see it the first time. One is /Application Support (has the directory) and another is /ApplicationSupport. The latter seems to have only one file in it which is odd.

-> ".../ApplicationSupport" (without the blank) is not/never a regular directory from the MacOs System. So you have surely created it by mistake by yourself anyhow.

“Do It For Her”