Topic: Multi-Channel audio in WDM setup question

UFXii user here. I'm successfully running a 4.0 system under ASIO using Reaper but I'd also like to use this in Windows 11.

My main monitors are connected via AES and my rear speakers are connected via Analog (1/2) out.

As I understand it, in the MADIface Settings under WDM devices, I select 'Multi-Channel' from the dropdown. Under configure, I see AES listed, so I checked that, but there's no option to select Analog (1/2) for my second set. My only option is to choose Analog (1-8) which seems like too many, but ok. Windows adds 'AES' and 'Analog 1-8) to my output speakers list.

Then, I don't understand the 'Speaker' tab. If I make both those devices speakers, Windows removes what was previously called 'AES' and 'Analog 1-8' and replaces them with a more generic 'Speakers' x2. I see that one of those speakers has a 'test' button, which works, but the other does not have this button.

In Asio for example, I created a snapshot called Surround and did the routing from within Reaper, which all works logically. I think I don't quite understand Windows audio.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Re: Multi-Channel audio in WDM setup question

You need to use a Multichannel device (here Analog 1-8, using only Analog 1/2 and 3/4 with playback)) and make it Speaker. Then use TotalMix FX to route the used 4.0 playback channels so that they come out of Analog 1/2 and AES. There is no other way to do it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC, that worked. I was hung up thinking AES HAD to be a speaker because they are my mains, but the TotalMix concept of route anything everywhere solved it.

Am I correct in thinking that my 'Monitors' snapshot that I use for my DAW can be set up the same way as long as I'm routing whatever Software Playback channel is playing to AES?

i.e. I often go back and forth between DAW and browser audio (YouTube). So When I'm playing my DAW Software Playback in TotalMix is coming out of AES and being routed to AES. Switching to the browser, Software Playback is coming out of AN 1/2 but is still being routed to AES.

Then I can just have another snapshot for Surround Sound and I've got all the bases covered. Sound about right?

Souinds about right. Don't forget to save all this as Workspace.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME