Topic: Direct DSD(Bitstreaming to DSD) support on RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Hi
I use Linux and I want a DAC that can Bitstream(Direct DSD) DSD files. I don’t like DoP, I only want Direct DSD playback. I looked online, but I couldn’t find anything official and reliable that shows if RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE can do that or not?

I would be grateful if you can help me before I buy it.
Thanks

2 (edited by brookgall1982 2023-12-11 05:19:59)

Re: Direct DSD(Bitstreaming to DSD) support on RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

I use the ADI-2/4 PRO WITH windows 11 pro with no problem whatsoever when reading DSD DSF files without DOP

I use a Pi4 with Rune as upnp renderer to play DSD files directly (no DoP) into ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as will using DOP. Both work fine and there is no audible difference.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

4 (edited by faramarz.moeeni 2023-12-13 04:14:54)

Thanks, but if I wanted to do some geeky stuff, I would not willing to pay about 2.5K to buy such gear. I think RME needs to list the details more precise, like any other manufacture. At this price point there's no place for speculation or risk for money.

davidr99 wrote:

I use a Pi4 with Rune as upnp renderer to play DSD files directly (no DoP) into ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as will using DOP. Both work fine and there is no audible difference.

faramarz.moeeni wrote:

I think RME needs to list the details more precise, like any other manufacture. At this price point there's no place for speculation or risk for money

What exactly are you missing? Is there any other audio gear manufacturer that provides such comprehensive documentation as RME?

I looked at most of the documentation, but I didn’t see anything specific about Direct DSD (Bitstreaming to DSD). I searched online, I found some forum posts, but I want a solid answer to my question, which I think is simple. Some said RME ADI DAC’s with AKM IC can do it. I also asked resellers, but they don’t know what they are selling; if the IC is ESS or AKM. I want to know if RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE supports Direct DSD playback (or Bitstreaming to DSD). Like any other DAC’s with this feature, I want to make sure the sound system in the operating system is off, and the DAC can work with any player application (e.g JRiver MediaCenter, Audirvana) that supports Bitstreaming. I would like someone official from RME to answer this question, because I’m going to spend almost 2.5K. If you know the answer, please tell me.

unpluggged wrote:
faramarz.moeeni wrote:

I think RME needs to list the details more precise, like any other manufacture. At this price point there's no place for speculation or risk for money

What exactly are you missing? Is there any other audio gear manufacturer that provides such comprehensive documentation as RME?

faramarz.moeeni wrote:

I looked at most of the documentation, but I didn’t see anything specific about Direct DSD (Bitstreaming to DSD). I searched online, I found some forum posts, but I want a solid answer to my question, which I think is simple <...>If you know the answer, please tell me.

Yes, it is simple. The ADI-2/4 Pro SE does not support DSD Direct, as it uses ESS DACs. Not that I would mind it, since there is no practical benefit in this mode. The ADi-2 Pro FS R does support DSD Direct, as it uses AKM DACs.

No, it is not simple, as the OP seems to ask something totally different. And is confused as well. Point is that DoP is totally transparent and the same as 'DirectDSD', which uses an 'alternate setting' for transfer. But there is no processing whatsoever anywhere. A simple explanation might be that with DoP the order of bits transferred is just a different one, the content is the same. So 'not liking' DoP for these reasons makes no sense.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You are suggesting that my original question might have stemmed from a misunderstanding or a lack of clarity about the technical aspects of DoP and Direct DSD. It might be true. By the way, I knew In DoP, the DSD data is sent within a PCM frame, but there is no actual conversion or processing of the data—it's more like a method of packaging the DSD data to be compatible with PCM transmission protocols. Once received, the DSD data is unpacked from the PCM frame and processed as pure DSD. Like most of the other topics which are more or less open and never-ending topics in Audio, there are some speculations that says encapsulating DSD data within a PCM frame could introduce a very minimal delay due to the additional steps involved in packing and unpacking the data. However, this delay is extremely small, typically negligible, and generally not perceptible to human ears. By and large, I wanted to know exactly what I'm going to buy.
Thank you

MC wrote:

No, it is not simple, as the OP seems to ask something totally different. And is confused as well. Point is that DoP is totally transparent and the same as 'DirectDSD', which uses an 'alternate setting' for transfer. But there is no processing whatsoever anywhere. A simple explanation might be that with DoP the order of bits transferred is just a different one, the content is the same. So 'not liking' DoP for these reasons makes no sense.

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-15 09:34:39)

faramarz.moeeni wrote:

…there are some speculations that says encapsulating DSD data within a PCM frame could introduce a very minimal delay due to the additional steps involved in packing and unpacking the data. However, this delay is extremely small, typically negligible, …

If I get you right, you just want to listen to prerecorded music.

In this case all the little processing delays that occur when transferring a digital signal are of no interest at all.

Maybe you misunderstood the term “delay”:
It simply means the complete, original, unchanged digital signal arrives a tiny bit (some milli- or micro-seconds) later.

The signal / music itself stays 100% untouched, there are no echos, phase shifts or anything else added to it.