1 (edited by chuckb 2023-12-14 15:32:15)

Topic: Digiface USB Pops and Clicks Despite Clock Sync

Hello RME,

I am running a Digiface USB with hopes of it serving as an ADAT head end for a ferro fish, es-8, and presonus studio 1824c:

Here is a snippet of our studio layout diagram with ADAT:

https://pasteboard.co/4vlbXacbIUUN.png

We are running the internal clock of the Digiface, and have set up the other peripherals to receive their clocks via ADAT (on the Ferrofish and Presonus I can prove they are locked by unplugging the ADAT cables and either device respectively will report that it's lost it's clock source)

The Digiface seems to show that they are all synced / locked:

https://imgur.com/86b9Yt7

-------
The issue is despite the clock sync (and ensuring all 3 peripherals are running at 44.1kHz sample rate) I continue to get pops and clicks; specifically on the inputs coming from the presonus and the es-8

So what i've investigated so far is:
1. check the Digiface firmware for updates (none needed; see image above)
2. triple checking that all peripherals are set to receive ADAT clocks, and are at 44.1kHz (and 128 buffer size where settable)

What I intend to check next:
1. triple check All cables are clean on the ends / properply seated in their receptors.

The suspicious thing to me, is that both the presonus inputs and es-8 both pop/click at the same time; as if the digiface isn't feeding them a clock properly

(they did all work for several hours without issues a few time, but this appears to be a fluke - as at the time the presonus was reporting to not be getting clock via ADAT, but the digiface was configured to receive it's clock from the presonus - and at the same time the es-8 was working)

What else can we consider when troubleshooting this issue? (there's wordclock out on the ferrofish and the presonus can get it's clock from SPDIF in; but we would like all available channels / the es-8 must receive it's clock via ADAT or be master.

the only time the setup ran without any pops and clicks for several hours was when the presonus was reporting it wasn't receiving the ADAT clock source (at the moment we were running the presonus with clock source from ADAT and erroneously the Digiface was to receive it's clock from the presonus at the same time)

Thanks!

Re: Digiface USB Pops and Clicks Despite Clock Sync

Hi
Maybe try a larger buffer size once?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Sure these three other Adat devices are able to operate as slave ?
They all have to be set to clock-mode external adat, not internal 44.1kHz.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

@oli77sch - I was slightly confused about this in general - the Digiface Windows tool according to the manual allows one to set the buffer size - but the OSX tool (I am running OSX) does not - quick tests in my DAW of choice (Bitwig Studio) didn't make a difference but I will be more systematic and try again

@waedi - thanks for the input - Yes I am 100% sure that both the ES-8 and Presonus 1824c can operate as ADAT slave (I used to slave the ES-8 to the presonus as my setup.

There is an indicator light on the presonus when it is set to ADAT clock but not receiving a clock - when I unpluged the presonus from the Digiface this light turns on; so this is how i am saying I know for a fact the Presonus is receiving the clock from the Digiface

5 (edited by Kubrak 2023-12-14 22:52:09)

Hard to say. I use Digiface USB and have it also sometimes connected to Presonus 1824c and few other ADAT devices (Eventide H8000, Eventide Eclipse, FF 802, FF UC, FF UCX).... It works OK. If there is lock, it is indicated in driver and leds on DF do not blink.

When there is not lock (bad setup or device on startup operation) it is indicated in driver and apropriete LED blinks.

But I am on Win.

Maybe some kind of problems with DF USB driver on Mac?