Topic: UFX III - Is installing the most current firmware always advised?

Greetings, I have recently purchased a UFX III. The unit is installed and running on a Mac Studio M2 Max / Ventura 13.5.2 without any apparent issues. I am using it for system audio while configuring a new DAW, and have also launched both Pro Tools and Logic test sessions.

My question is regarding Drivers and Firmware. I have installed the DriverKit v4.0.9 driver only (not the kernel version) and have not updated UFX III firmware yet. Is updating firmware to the most current version always advised, or should I leave this alone unless I encounter an issue?

As reported by the RME USB Series Flash Tool:

My current firmware:
USB 15 / DSP 4 / CC 5 / Fallback USB 15

If I update:
USB 20 / DSP 7 / CC 44

Thanks,
Sky

Re: UFX III - Is installing the most current firmware always advised?

Short (and my personal recommended) answer:
Yes. It takes 5 Minutes to flash the new firmware.

Long answer:
Its a question, which can only be answered by yourself.
Same like OS Updates etc.
You can read the changelog in the readme if you download the firmware and then decide by yourself if the changes could affect your workflow.

regards, maggie

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Thanks Maggie, I’ll watch for a few more responses and probably go with your short answer. I’ve found that some updates are riskier than others and RME has a good reputation overall. Just being cautious as a newcomer with RME.

Sky

Unless the driver settings dialog doesn't tell you that an update is required, you don't have to do it, but it's quick and won't do any harm...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you Daniel. Sky