Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS - Recording from Optical Input

I recently bought a ADI-2 PRO FS and I'm impressed by the sound and quality!
I use it as my monitor device for SPeakers and Phones. The ADO is connected to the coax in and out of my interface (Scarlett 18i20).
Today I tried to record my old DAT tapes by connecting the optical out of my DAT recorder to the optical in of the ADI. I thought the signal (data) will be passed to the coax out so I can record it. But that seems not to work. Is it not possible or do I something wrong?

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS - Recording from Optical Input

Why not plug in the USB of the ADI-2 Pro into your computer and use it as the interface?  I can guarantee it will sound better than the Focusrite (and I'm a BIG Focusrite Pro fan).  Make sure you set the ADI to LOCK to the incoming signal from the DAT machine since it will be the master clock source.

Thanks Eric, this is of course the other possibility - I just wanted to see if it is possible with my current setup.
BTW: Why should it make any difference if the data are going through the Scarett or not. There is no DA/AD converting at all so it should simply be a bit perfect datastream?

Right... what was I thinking, but you should still make the Focusrite the master making sure the ADI-2 is locking to incoming data.

Ok, thank you eric. In the meantime I have figured out why I was not able to pass data from ADI to Scarlett: There is a (software) mode switch in the Scarlett to have 2 optical ins or one optical in and the coax. It was set to 2 optical ins...
Is it always best to have the clock master at the sending device? The clock in the ADI is surely more stable than in the Scarlett...
I'm not really familar with that stuff.

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-14 22:25:13)

1. If your DAT player can be clock slave, send a digital signal from your audio interface to it’s input and set the DAT accordingly.

2. In most case this is not possible and the DAT needs to be clock master, as most models don’t have the option to be externally synced.

In both cases I’d eliminate either ADI-2 Pro or Scarlett out of the equation- running the signal through two interfaces is an unnecessary complication.

Personally I’ve bought a fully refurbished Sony 7050 DAT machine for digitally synced transfer of my archives.
I can even record the error codes along the audio to isolate dropouts and other problems for secure transfer.

holgerd wrote:

Ok, thank you eric. In the meantime I have figured out why I was not able to pass data from ADI to Scarlett: There is a (software) mode switch in the Scarlett to have 2 optical ins or one optical in and the coax. It was set to 2 optical ins...
Is it always best to have the clock master at the sending device? The clock in the ADI is surely more stable than in the Scarlett...
I'm not really familar with that stuff.

What KaiS said... your source ALWAYS needs to be clock master, unless you have the ADI2 Pro do SRC and you wanted to capture at a higher sample rate, but there's no advantage.

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-16 18:35:36)

holgerd wrote:

…The clock in the ADI is surely more stable than in the Scarlett...

For synced digital transfer clock quality is of no concern - the digital bits arriving at the recorder are the same, no matter how jittery (within usable range) the clock is.

For analog transfer that’s a different story, and I’d always go with the ADI-2 clock then.

ericseaberg wrote:

What KaiS said... your source ALWAYS needs to be clock master, unless you have the ADI2 Pro do SRC and you wanted to capture at a higher sample rate, but there's no advantage.

That‘s true for almost all home hifi stuff.
Exception: Pro audio digital often has the option for external clock sync - else one could hardly use a multiple paralleled devices setup as typical in a studio.

SRC should be avoided for archiving- it’s not bit-transparent, bit-perfect.

Specifically DAT-tapes often suffer from tape error and dirt related problems.
In a 2nd (or 3rd, 4th,…) copy-run you can be lucky that the problematic portion of the tape is read without errors.

Then you need to edit the good parts together, which is much more easy when the copy is bit-perfect, not modified through the SRC.

As I’m in the business of restoring old recordings too, I have a setup that allows to automatically mark the errors during recording, to later inspect and correct them this way.

Thank you for all your help! I not only solved my problem but am also a lot wiser!

I would add that using ADI as USB output from computer gives you stability of RME drivers. And maybe lower buffer settings will be needed and so lower latency introduced....

But maybe Focustite drivers are also great. I do not know. And in that case, it would not make much difference. Except for few samples more latency caused by digital path....