Topic: Record with DURec and analog in at the same time - possible?

I am in the process of buying an Fireface UFX II. I heard about DuRec but cant find any information about record DURec and analog in at the same time. Is that possible? I wonder because i always wanted to record vocals with compression on the way in but also have a uncompressed version if i mess up :-).

UFX II, Cubase 12 Pro, Windows 11 23H2, i7 14700K, ASUS Prime Z790-A WIFI, Corsair 32GB DDR5 5600MHz

2 (edited by waedi 2023-12-15 04:42:40)

Re: Record with DURec and analog in at the same time - possible?

Yes DuRec does record input signals and when enabled in the settings the EQ and Dynamics from Totalmix ar added to the input signal.

https://i.ibb.co/YpGvq1W/eq-D.jpg

In the user manual page 98 to 104 is about DuRec, lot of information.
Reading the entire user manual before buying the unit is recommended and possible with no limitations, no login, no user account, the user manual is online for public.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ufx2_e.pdf
For German version replace the e with d.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by Mr Zorro 2023-12-17 00:13:22)

waedi wrote:

Yes DuRec does record input signals and when enabled in the settings the EQ and Dynamics from Totalmix ar added to the input signal.

https://i.ibb.co/YpGvq1W/eq-D.jpg

In the user manual page 98 to 104 is about DuRec, lot of information.
Reading the entire user manual before buying the unit is recommended and possible with no limitations, no login, no user account, the user manual is online for public.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ufx2_e.pdf
For German version replace the e with d.

Ok thank you. Seems that i am to lazy for the manual but i will download and read it :-). Reading your post again made me think maybe we missunderstand eachother. I wonder if it is poosible to record (thru regular my vocalchain with compressor, preamp and so on) in to for example line in channel 1 and also at the same time record (clean with no dynamics) to DuRec. Is that possible?

UFX II, Cubase 12 Pro, Windows 11 23H2, i7 14700K, ASUS Prime Z790-A WIFI, Corsair 32GB DDR5 5600MHz

4 (edited by waedi 2023-12-17 00:48:14)

For your question, Input signal recording dry and with dynamics at the same time, yes this is possible with a special trick.
In Totalmix you have to do special routing.
The input channel with your signal stays clean without dynamics.
This channel is for recording the dry signal. Enable it for DuRec.
Then you have to route it to an output channel other than directly below.
Let's make an example :
Your input signal comes in on input channel 9/10.
Route it to output channel 7/8
Use dynamics on this outputchannel.
Activate Loopback inside this channel (click wrenchtool button).
Now your signal with compression is forwarded onto input channel 7/8.
Enable Input channel 7/8 for DuRec, this is the signal with compression.
Both stereo-channels will be recorded. One dry and one with compression.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

For your question, Input signal recording dry and with dynamics at the same time, yes this is possible with a special trick.
In Totalmix you have to do special routing.
The input channel with your signal stays clean without dynamics.
This channel is for recording the dry signal. Enable it for DuRec.
Then you have to route it to an output channel other than directly below.
Let's make an example :
Your input signal comes in on input channel 9/10.
Route it to output channel 7/8
Use dynamics on this outputchannel.
Activate Loopback inside this channel (click wrenchtool button).
Now your signal with compression is forwarded onto input channel 7/8.
Enable Input channel 7/8 for DuRec, this is the signal with compression.
Both stereo-channels will be recorded. One dry and one with compression.

Thanks for your quick reply. It sounds a bit complicated, but as soon as I've bought the card, I'll have to test it out.

6 (edited by hselters 2023-12-17 11:34:40)

As far as I understand the proposed workflow here is suggesting to use the built in dynamics fx in total mix? I think the looped back channel won’t show a meter in total mix on its input, not even sure if it’s possible to record with durec (but certainly it’s possible with a DAW where the levels will also show up).
I’d rather suggest a physical loopback using a cable on one of the digital channels.

For a processing using outboard fx you don’t need any loopback. You can just record the clean input, send it to any output where you plug your fx device and let it return on another input (which you can also record parallel with durec).

hselters wrote:

As far as I understand the proposed workflow here is suggesting to use the built in dynamics fx in total mix? I think the looped back channel won’t show a meter in total mix on its input, not even sure if it’s possible to record with durec (but certainly it’s possible with a DAW where the levels will also show up).
I’d rather suggest a physical loopback using a cable on one of the digital channels.

For a processing using outboard fx you don’t need any loopback. You can just record the clean input, send it to any output where you plug your fx device and let it return on another input (which you can also record parallel with durec).

Hi!

Ok, so if i understand you right this means that i can record my "regular" vocalchain to input 1 (for instance) and also record DURec parallell as you say? This is exactly what i was asking for :-). I hope i understood you right?