Topic: 12Mic-D line input

Good morning,

I searched the manual and the internet but couldn't find how to switch the microphone inputs to line inputs. It's probably very simple but I can't find it. Can anyone help me?

THANKS !

Den

Re: 12Mic-D line input

Hopefully this link works. https://docs.rme-audio.com/12micd/211-1 … in/#211-5T

What the manual describes is how to switch the first four inputs from XLR to TRS. If you use XLR line level signals, you can just connect the signal to the input.

Just make sure to switch off phantom power (if it was on) before you connect anything and reduce the gain to 0 dB (for levels up to 18 dBu), 5 dB (for levels up to 13 dBu) or 14 dB (for +4 dBu line levels without headroom). For 'hotter' line level signals (19 dBu/24 dBu) you'd have to attenuate the signal first before feeding it to the inputs of the 12Mic.

Thank you for your answers.

The manual states that inputs 1-4 AND inputs 5-12 can be line level :

https://docs.rme-audio.com/12micd/021-8c_analog_in/

"four combined XLR/TRS inputs labeled "1" to "4" can be used for microphone, LINE and instrument signals"

"XLR inputs labeled "5" to "12" can be used for microphone and LINE level signals"

But where is the line level on the hardware ?! It should be on the 12 entries according to the manual!

It is therefore impossible to connect my NEVE 1073 DPA. I tried with the volume of the 12mic at zero, it's still too much, even with the trims at minimum on the NEVE and the preamp set very low. Conclusion, there is no real line level on the 12mic? It's incredible.

There's nothing to switch. The manual specifies maximum input levels at minimum gain:

XLR: Maximum input level, Gain 0 dB: +18 dBu
TRS: Maximum input level, Gain 8 dB: +20 dBu

If your incoming signal is too hot, reduce at the source (mic pad, gain or trim).

https://www.ams-neve.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/1073DPA-LHS-1536x426.png

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by Max 2023-11-16 01:33:05)

kermel69 wrote:

Conclusion, there is no real line level on the 12mic?

Not true. The device accepts +18 dBu line level at all 12 inputs when the gain is set to 0. You seem to expect that the device can accept 26 dBu line level signals as well, but that level is uncommon and not more "real" than other line levels. Actually, the only line levels that deserve to be called "real" are +4 dBu for professional and -10 dBV for consumer use. The rest was meant to provide headroom.

I tried with the volume of the 12mic at zero

You mean the gain, right? The gain must be set to zero at the 12Mic-D. And the gain of the Neve can also be set all the way to -80 if necessary.

@kermel69

Yep, can confirm! I 've been using the 1073 DPA in a studio with an SSL Aplha Link and it was the same!
Extremely hot output!!

If you want to drive the preamp, it 's better to use a passive attenuator between the Neve's Outputs and 12Mic Line Ins.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

8 (edited by cigame 2023-11-16 17:56:20)

https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_123.htm
These are working fine for overdriving the NEVE.
The Neve sounds nice on drums driven into the red.
I also have a MACKIE Mixer with TRS line inputs that don't need extra attenuators ;-)

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Thank you for your answers. I found this on the NEVE manual, would this be the solution? :

How to change the Headroom Level Setting
The unit can be set to one of two headroom settings; 18dB or 26dB. The headroom set is the
number of dB above 0dBu before the ADC clips. The clip led will still come on around 3-4dB below
clipping in either setting.
The headroom can be changed by operating the switch through the hole marked by the 'Headroom
Setting' label on the top of the unit - see diagram below.
For 18dB operation the switch should be in the down position.
For 26dB operation the switch should be in the up position (not operated).

This knob is only in the DPD, the version with AD converter.
And even there, you won't get any nice overdrive.
Had one and sold it.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

I also have a MACKIE Mixer with TRS line inputs that don't need extra attenuators

I have a DAD AX24 which at line level does not require an attenuator either. The NEVE works very well on it. When I bought the NEVE (used), I went to the seller with a laptop and a simple Audient sound card to be able to test it, no problem with the line level either.

RME Support wrote:

There's nothing to switch. The manual specifies maximum input levels at minimum gain:

XLR: Maximum input level, Gain 0 dB: +18 dBu
TRS: Maximum input level, Gain 8 dB: +20 dBu

If your incoming signal is too hot, reduce at the source (mic pad, gain or trim).

https://www.ams-neve.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/1073DPA-LHS-1536x426.png

Mic level  -60 dBV (0,001 volt) et -40 dBV (0,010 volt).
Line level 0 dBV (1.000 volts).
So there is no real line level on the RME 12Mic?

See above.
The device accepts +18 dBu line level at all 12 inputs when the gain is set to 0.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME