1 (edited by beejeeduncan 2023-12-19 01:18:43)

Topic: [solved] Babyface original finally bites the dust?

I’ve just used my old trusty babyface this past week for work, a corporate event running sound for a google meet remote guest at an office building.  It worked wonderfully, no problem… except I could not get it to be recognized by the client’s newer MacBook Pro computers, and so I ran the google meet on my older surface pro.  Like I said, it worked out fine however, immediately after the event ended I noticed my surface went into a windows auto update, as it seems to do whenever it wants, and I was laughing because of how ridiculous it is that windows behaves like this and how close I came to ruining the event with this update.  Now last night, maybe 4 days after last using the babyface without issue on my surface, I was trying to watch YouTube at home in Firefox browser.  YouTube played videos but there was no sound.  I thought, ok maybe my computer thinks it’s still connected to the babyface even though that doesn’t not appear in my sound settings as an option.. I tried a lot of things, I restarted, I googled a bunch of things and looked in Firefox help.  I also connected my babyface again just to see if I could get audio out of it and what do you know?  The babyface is no longer recognized my my computer.  Has anyone else run into this with the most recent windows auto update?  I am running windows 10.  Is this THE END for all original babyface products?  I certainly hope not, what a shame if it’s just a driver issue that will never be updated. 

If anyone knows how to get control over windows so that it doesn’t auto update like this, please let me know.  I have tried in the past and though I had set it up to avoid automatic updates, but either it has reverted back on its own, or I didn’t actually do it because it seems to update very often and without my permission. 

Side-note, also I have noticed a very strange behavior where spotify installs itself perhaps every other time I open the app on the surface, which seems like very abnormal behavior as I have used it for many years.

Re: [solved] Babyface original finally bites the dust?

Maybe virus?

Concerning Win Update. You may choose timespan of the day (few hours) it may restart and install update. I have set it to 2 or 3 AM. That time computer is most probably off.

I do not have BF, but I guess it should work even on latest Win10 update. If not, I guess RME would fix it. Even older HW gets RME care....

Thanks for the response Kubrak!  I suppose it could be viruses, although scanning reveals no virus threats.  I did just now plug the babyface into my old 2009 MacBook Pro that has not even been online for at least a year and also it does not recognize the babyface.  So I will try and update the firmware on the babyface and contact RME to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks for the tip on setting updates for off hours.  How does this work when I rarely use this computer, and don’t have it on or plugged in all the time?  I pretty much use my phone for any computer needs daily and only use my computer for work.  My concern with updating and losing compatibility may be misguided in this case since the babyface is now not working with my old computer that it once did, but setting updates to a particular time would not help with potential backwards compatibility issues.  Is it possible to set it to never update?  I assume this could be problematic as well, since the point of some updates is to fix problems and make things more secure.. seems like there is maybe no good answer here except to have to continue to purchase new hardware that works with newer software once something stops working randomly one day huh?  Hmmm

Ok, well I've got the babyface working again on my surface!  I updated the firmware, even though I was sure I had done that before, re-installed the latest TotalMix even though I was also sure I had already done that and restarted my computer a few times.  Now it works.  I also went to uninstall firefox and it gave me the option to refresh it instead and that fixed my issue with audio not playing from firefox.  Wonderful!  now I just need to get my hands on a newer mac and see if I can get the babyface working on that.  All is not lost!  Don't give up smile