Topic: ADI-2 FS ANA mode use.

Have a ADI-2 FS on the way. It will be used primarily for capturing my analog master buss during mixing. Also may be used during vocal tracking using outboard preamps.
Curious about the ANA mode and if it would be appropriate for capturing audio from my analog gear?

Thanks.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-23 11:31:03)

Re: ADI-2 FS ANA mode use.

https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Converter/ADI-2-FS.png

On ADI-2 FS the ANA Mode switches a pure analog signal path from analog input to analog outputs - without running through AD-DA conversion.

Even in this mode the AD-converter is active, digitizing the analog input and sending it to the digital outputs, e.g. for recording.

What is perhaps worth mentioning is that in ANA mode the maximum reflevel for inputs and outputs is 3 dB higher, 22 dBu.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

KaiS wrote:

https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Converter/ADI-2-FS.png

On ADI-2 FS the ANA Mode switches a pure analog signal path from analog input to analog outputs - without running through AD-DA conversion.

Even in this mode the AD-converter is active, digitizing the analog input and sending it to the digital outputs, e.g. for recording.

Thanks for responses. So if I'm reading correctly, it will work and provide a little more headroom?

As Ramses stated "3db higher, 22dbu"

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-23 18:59:22)

lgibbs2 wrote:

So if I'm reading correctly, it will work and provide a little more headroom?

Yes, for the analog path.
The AD-Converter’s reference level stays +19 dBu.

Manual page 11:

9. Analog loop-through (ANA)

… Since in this mode the analog output is no longer connected to the DAC, the entire analog headroom is available, with a maximum output level of +22 dBu (balanced). Even the input can now be fed undistorted with up to +22 dBu. ...

Additionally the AD-converter is also active and usable. As long as one does not exceed +19 dBu input level, the analog signal can also be picked up digitally and undistorted. …

KaiS wrote:
lgibbs2 wrote:

So if I'm reading correctly, it will work and provide a little more headroom?

Yes, for the analog path.
The AD-Converter’s reference level stays +19 dBu.

Manual page 11:

9. Analog loop-through (ANA)

… Since in this mode the analog output is no longer connected to the DAC, the entire analog headroom is available, with a maximum output level of +22 dBu (balanced). Even the input can now be fed undistorted with up to +22 dBu. ...

Additionally the AD-converter is also active and usable. As long as one does not exceed +19 dBu input level, the analog signal can also be picked up digitally and undistorted. …

Ahh.. Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks again.
Looking forward to it along side my ZenTour and Satori this may button things up for me. Thought about the FS R Black Edition but didn't need all the bells and whistles.