Topic: Using ADI-2 Pro FS For Streaming HiRes Audio?

How do most MAC users setup the ADI-2 for streaming playback of HiRes (Lossless) audio?

What Mode? USB interface or Stand-alone? PCM at 192kHz? Anyone DSD streaming? Detailed setup I should look into?

I am currently using Apple Music but not always happy with its 'lossless' quality,. . . What other music streaming companies should I try? I am into Folk, Country, Rock genres.

Thanks for your input.

Billy

GrievousAngel
Live Sound & Recording Studio Owner
Severely influenced by Rock'n Roll!
ADI-2 Pro FS

Re: Using ADI-2 Pro FS For Streaming HiRes Audio?

USB, and follow the source.

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-25 18:42:31)

I’m running Tidal from iDevices, via USB.
Sample rate switches automatically.

I think the culprit lies in the “remasteritis”, not in the streaming services, who ALL can only offer just what the labels send them.

The tendency to remaster good recordings, killing all dynamics until there are audible distortions all over, with the goal to win the “loudness war”, spoils the quality.
The new HiRes-trend speeded up this unlucky development.

I developed a tendency to listen, quite oldschool, to CDs or 1:1 CD-rips more and more these days.
They contain the original, fully dynamic, non-remastered versions.

I use a service called Qobuz as opposed to Tidal.  Qobuz doesn't use proprietary codecs like Tidal does (or did) and streams are selectable as to what codec you prefer... typically FLAC is what I do at 192K/24bit.  As KaiS mentioned the ADI-2 Pro switches SR automatically from USB.  Apple Music may have their 'lossless' stuff, but nothing is above 48K from them as it all needs to be compatible with Phones, etc.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-25 21:49:57)

ericseaberg wrote:

…Apple Music may have their 'lossless' stuff, but nothing is above 48K from them as it all needs to be compatible with Phones, etc.

An old iPhone 6 already plays 192 kHz here, to ADI-2.

iDevice + ADI-2 makes a good, hustle-free streaming machine.
And ADI-2 Remote app runs on iPad.

6 (edited by ericseaberg 2023-12-28 23:39:45)

KaiS wrote:
ericseaberg wrote:

…Apple Music may have their 'lossless' stuff, but nothing is above 48K from them as it all needs to be compatible with Phones, etc.

… from Apple Music?

Just double checked and, I’m surprised, it will but ONLY using an external DAC. They also say latest IOS so I’m surprised an iPhone 6 is doing that… but I believe you.

ericseaberg wrote:
KaiS wrote:
ericseaberg wrote:

… from Apple Music?

Just double checked and, I’m surprised, it will but ONLY using an external DAC. They also say latest IOS so I’m surprised an iPhone 6 is doing that… but I believe you.

Can‘t check Apple Music, but from Tidal and other sources.