Topic: Fireface 400 not detected

I've recently picked up two Fireface 400 units. For extra i/o via adat in standalone.
First unit worked out great Firewire to Thunderbolt 2 setup in a intel 2015 machine running BigSur.
Firmware was up to date so nothing else needed.

Second unit with the same computer/wiring setup. Fireface setting app launches and closes immediately after.
Totalmix launches but no mixer window.

Thinking that maybe the firmware needed to be updated... latest firmware update not compatible with Big Sur.

So I moved to my 2009 apple running El captain still. Here I was able to load the firmware update.
Unfortunately I get a pop up saying the software and or device are not detected.

Could this unit be faulty? The original owner said he had it running on a windows machine.

Any ideas? I'm my experience the setting window comes up instantly when any of my RME interfaces are plugged in.

+ does anyone have the specific routing and save process to setup the channels in totalmix for standalone adat i/o extension?
I'm pretty sure i have it but would like to hear feedback. Using these 400,s with mu UCX2 and UFX+.

Thanks
eden

Re: Fireface 400 not detected

Can you provide a screenshot of this popup?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello, not familiar with getting photos on here.

The Error message is: when using flash update.

“Error
No fireface driver or device installed.”

Once again the Settings app opens for a second and then closes again.

This morning I hooked up the working unit to the older El captain Mac via FireWire direct. Settings and Totalmix came up instantly. So I know the port and driver work properly with both 2015 and my 2009 Mac’s.

I did notice with the suspect fireface that my older Mac wouldn’t boot up with the FireWire connected? Also a couple of times when I hot plugged the FireWire in I lost tracking of my mouse? Weird.

I have a strong feeling there is an issue with the fireface itself. Maybe the FireWire 400 port is toast. Tried both ports.

If it was setup for use with a windows unit from the last owner could the windows firmware be an issue blocking the connection? Thought the firmware update wouldn’t be format specific and the actual update the same for both platforms?

Thx
E

Fireface 400 is toast. Most likely the FireWire port has failed. But managed to get a refund from Reverb.

Just picked up a FireWire 800. Detected instantly.

Once again asking for a distinct adat extender totalmix setup for running this unit in standalone?

Thx
Eden

5 (edited by waedi 2023-12-31 19:07:19)

edenrausch wrote:

Fireface 400 is toast. Most likely the FireWire port has failed. But managed to get a refund from Reverb.

Just picked up a FireWire 800. Detected instantly.

Once again asking for a distinct adat extender totalmix setup for running this unit in standalone?

Thx
Eden

Please post a screenshot of the FF800 Matrix window. A link is fine.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue