Topic: Mac computer for Rme Madiface Xt and Rme Hdsp fx

Hi,

I have a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), 3.8ghz intel processor with 64gb of ram.

Its starting to choke in projects with 16 tracks and plenty of processing audio plugins.

I run Ableton 11 with 1 rme madiface xt and another rme hdspe madi fx.

With that Im running several madi linked devices (12 electro fish madi pulses soundcards )(i have a lot of gear!).

Some one in another forum said that having all those tracks active (over 300) consumes a lot of resources even if the are not being used in the moment. Is this true? I have 2 totalmix pages, each for the madiface and the madi fx.

I’m wondering if upgrading my imac to a m1 or m2 processor will make a huge difference. Either a mac mini or a mac studio.

I struggle between low latency setting and a higher latency setting 2048 or 1024 to be able to run more plugins.

I’m running monterey.

My idea is to get a max mini or i don’t know if a max studio will sort things out.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Happy holidays!

Re: Mac computer for Rme Madiface Xt and Rme Hdsp fx

djthopa wrote:

Some one in another forum said that having all those tracks active (over 300) consumes a lot of resources even if the are not being used in the moment. Is this true? I have 2 totalmix pages, each for the madiface and the madi fx.

I don't believe this is true, or if it is the performance impact should be small. RME drivers are very optimized.

djthopa wrote:

I’m wondering if upgrading my imac to a m1 or m2 processor will make a huge difference. Either a mac mini or a mac studio.

A Mac Mini with an M2 Pro should net you decent performance gains. It outperforms the 10700K in single threaded and multi-threaded workloads. An M2 Max/Ultra would crush the performance of the 10700K, giving you significantly higher headroom.

At least in theory. There are many variables.

2x MADI FX | Digiface Dante | Fireface UFX+ | ADI-192 DD