Topic: BF Pro FS or UCX II with ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for Home Setup

Hey all, I'm looking for advice about the following situation:

Currently, I own a ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to use with my headphones and PC, which is my main use case.
Additionally, I have 2.1 active monitors and a TV all plugged into my ADI-2 Pro as follows:

Headphones                       3/4 ---> ADI-2 Pro
Monitors                            1/2 ---> ADI-2 Pro
TV                      optical SPDIF ---> ADI-2 Pro
ADI-2 PRO                        USB ---> PC

When I want to use my monitors, I mute 3/4 and unmute 1/2
When I want to switch to my TV as source, I switch from USB source to Auto (ADI-2 Pro is set to DAC mode)

Now, I would like to use a balanced cable for my headphones, add a microphone and in the future possibly an instrument:

BAL Headphones             1/2 & 3/4  ---> ADI-2 Pro
Mic & Instrument            XLR / TRS ---> Audio Interface
Monitors                           XLR / TS ---> Audio Interface
TV                              optical SPDIF ---> Audio Interface
Audio Interface                                ---> ADI-2 Pro
Audio Interface                         USB ---> PC

The UCX II could be connected to the ADI via AES/EBU and then I could use the optical SPDIF to connect my TV as before.
Would that work?

To connect the BF to the ADI, I would use ADAT, so if I understand this correctly, there would not be enough optical ports to connect my TV, because the BF does not have AES/EBU.
Can I somehow still get away with a Babyface or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a UCX II?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and ideas ^^

2 (edited by ramses 2024-01-01 18:30:16)

Re: BF Pro FS or UCX II with ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for Home Setup

You could use a TOSLINK switcher like the Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 Mk II which supports up to 192 kHz.
The Optosel comes with a good working remote but can also be switched at the device using one button.
You need to get the Mk II version, because the older version wrongly claimed to support 192 kHz, but only supported 96 kHz.

Integration of ADI-2 Pro into your setup look this blog article that I wrote some time ago:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Optosel 4:1
BBF Pro -------------ADAT---------------->1:IN\
TV--------------------SPDIF--------------->2:IN \
                                               free      3:IN \
                                               free      4:IN \1:OUT--------->ADI-2 Pro FS R BE-------->3/4 phones
                                                                                                                       -------->1/2 active monitors

The following picture is from this blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2774-adi-2-pro-fs-r-be-use-cases-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses, thanks for your reply.

Excuse my silly question, but does that mean, that I only need to connect BF optical OUT with ADI-2 Pro optical IN?
I thought I have to connect it twice (IN to OUT and OUT to IN). At least, that is what was told in this video: https://youtu.be/vyOjnV9WkKg?t=240

You only need a connection from ADI to BBF if you want to record something through the BBF.
I understood you, that the ADI-2 Pro is only needed for monitoring, therefore only ADAT connection from BBF to ADI.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You only need a connection from ADI to BBF if you want to record something through the BBF.

I see, that is good to know!

But let's say that in the future I would still like to have the option to record with the Babyface. How would I connect everything in that case?

You can record with the BBF through its USB connection.
As every application can only load one audio driver, the BBF Pro will be your main interface.
But you can also install the ADI-2 Pro ASIO driver to keep the unit operational for firmware updates and to be able to use the new remote control software.

Ok, so if I get the Babyface, I would need a TOSLINK switch too.
On the other hand, if I get the UCX II I don't need the switch, because I can connect it via AES/EBU.

Does the UCX II have a ON OFF Switch or do I have to cut the power via power strip?

Is the UCX II better than the Babyface in performance? I know it has more channels, but I would like to know if it actually has better processing / more gain, etc.

8 (edited by ramses 2024-01-01 21:54:13)

> On the other hand, if I get the UCX II I don't need the switch, because I can connect it via AES/EBU.
No .. what would be possible:

+----->1/2 Monitors
PC----USB2--(for maintenance)------->ADI-2 Pro---->3/4 Phones                (clock slave, getting clock via ADAT IN)
                 and remote control                  ^
                                                                /
                                                               / 
PC----USB2------BBF Pro FS--ADAT OUT--+                                                   (clock master, main audio interface)
                         ADAT IN
                             ^
                            /
TV-----SPDIF------+

> Does the UCX II have a ON OFF Switch or do I have to cut the power via power strip?
Simply look at the front, don't you see ON/OFF there ?!

> Is the UCX II better than the Babyface in performance?
> I know it has more channels, but I would like to know if it actually has better processing / more gain, etc.

Yes it is better and more features, e.g.: higher Mic Gain (like UFX II), DURec, Autoset, Word Clock, more powerful phone outputs, etc.

Please see my comparison excel for a quick overview about differences:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

1/2 and 3/4 will be used for balanced headphone connection.
So I would connect the monitors to the audio interface via XLR for the babyface or via TS on the UCX II and then control it via TotalMix FX?, right?

How would I connect the ADI-2 Pro with a UCX II? Wouldn't it be best to do it via AES/EBU?
So that I can use optical SPDIF on the ADI-2 Pro for the TV?
That was my question in post 7. I hope I explained it ok.

I appreciate your input and the work you put into the data you linked smile
I think my tendency is more towards the UCX II.

Hopefully someone can confirm.

Blue_One wrote:

How would I connect the ADI-2 Pro with a UCX II? Wouldn't it be best to do it via AES/EBU?
So that I can use optical SPDIF on the ADI-2 Pro for the TV?

yes & yes