Topic: Does UFX+ work with Macbook Pro through Docking Station

I tries searching but couldn't find the answer.

Is it possible to use a UFX+ with a Macbook Pro M3 through a thunderbolt docking station, for example something like the Caldigit Element Hub? https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-4-element-hub/

I've always heard that it's best to plug the interface directly into the computer, but I'm curious if this setup would work. I'm hoping to transition to using exclusively a laptop but i'd like to have a single cable coming out of it for everything.

Thanks!

2 (edited by bsfreq 2024-01-07 17:07:13)

Re: Does UFX+ work with Macbook Pro through Docking Station

Yes.

I’ve been using a Caldigit TS3+ dock with my 2019 Macbook Pro and UFX+ for years without any problems. (UFX+ is connected via thunderbolt to my dock, but I don’t see why there would be any problems with USB connection either, as thunderbolt has plenty of bandwidth. In case of USB, I suggest using a dedicated USB controller bus for the UFX. Caldigit has good documentation about which ports share the same controller. In addition to the UFX+, I have ethernet, USB-midi devices and a display connected to my dock without any audio problems)

I’m running multiple software instruments and plugins with 32 buffer, super low latency and zero glitches.

I had one recording session where I used a 25m long Corning optical thunderbolt cable in between my Mac and the Caldigit dock. Recording was fine, but there was weird slowness on Logic Pro playback.
However, there was quite cold, and my macbook was even booting up very slowly, so I suspect the problem was due to the environment and not the gear.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Thanks very much @bsfreq, this is very useful info!

Using a CalDigit Thubderbolt 3 dock with UFX+ connected via its thunderbolt 3 port (with adapter), UCX via USB and Fireface 400 via Firewire (yes, that dock has a FireWire port) on Apple M1.

It’s working perfectly fine, but I remember I had issues using the UFX+ on the docks USB ports with USB 3. It was often not recognized after sleep states of the Mac and needed a power cycle. I also had some dropouts with browser based livestreams.

I then changed to thunderbolt which on paper, has less RTL anyways- even faster than the UFX III and it is 100% reliable since then.
Happy I didn’t get the UfX III smile

5 (edited by ramses 2024-01-07 18:00:40)

Converter latency is faster, RTL is a little bit slower, absolutely no night and day.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … x-iii-jpg/

When headbanging you move the head probably a longer way than the few centimetres based on the few samples difference (of converter latency as well as complete RTL) wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

yea, the RTL difference doesn't matter, but the thunderbolt driver just works way better on my Mac, especially with that dock.