Topic: Babyface Pro FS vs UCX II - Outboard Preamp connection

Hi

Long time Original BabyFace user here!

I'm trying out the BabyFace Pro FS, and have connected an external preamp to both the Mic Input using the PAD, and also the IN 3 using an unbalanced cable from my external preamp.

I'm going to have make a decision on this at some point soon - just curious if using an external preamp with the UCX II Line In would have any improvement over how I'm connecting the the Babyface Pro FS mentioned above - or if any differences would be minimal/un-noticeable.

I'm basically a one-man operation, likely using the built in pres, or one outboard preamp. There's a chance in the future I'd need to expand, but I guess I could just use the Babyface pro fs adat to add some more connections.

The headphone sound, preamps are certainly an improvement over the original Babyface for sure!

Thanks!
- Leon

2 (edited by ramses 2024-01-06 19:01:24)

Re: Babyface Pro FS vs UCX II - Outboard Preamp connection

Hi Leon, welcome to the RME user forum.

I would prefer a balanced line input for connecting a preamp.

If your budget allows, then you should consider the UCX II as it offers you greater versatility.

If your requirements increase later on, selling the BBF Pro FS and buying a new UCX II would not only cost you more money, but you would also lose time because you would have to rebuild the entire routing in TM FX.

More analogue I/O also gives you the freedom to connect external devices like e.g. FX which can be useful. These analogue ports do not change in number depending on the sample rate being used. Another advantage.

In addition, the UCX II has great features, an analogue section that doesn't need to hide behind the flagship products with mic preamps with 75 dB gain and features such as Autoset and DURec.
The AES port could also be interesting for you later on, if you want to connect a reference converter like ADI-2 Pro and still have at least one ADAT port free for connecting a preamp.

You can find a comparison of the products in my Excel table, which you can find here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Wonderful!!

Thanks!!

4 (edited by ramses 2024-01-06 19:06:50)

You're welcome.

Another advantages of the UCX II are e.g. headphone output with higher power.

If you might need more reserves, then you should look at the UFX II (without MADI).
This USB2 30ch interface also meets the requirements (FPGA with enough power reserves) so that you can use the new features Room EQ and also cross-feed for headphone outputs.

Also useful with the UFX II to have four Mic/Instr inputs in the front, where you can use e.g. two instruments inputs to play guitar over a virtual amp and to have two Mic inputs if you also intend to sing together.  Sometimes you get better results recording stuff together playing / singing together that doing every track one by one. It's an entirely different interaction when working with multiple people and instruments.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13