Topic: [Solved] TotalMix FX DSP is not working

I have 6 month old UFX III. Purchased new. Everything appears to be working just fine, (so far I am using analog inputs only) but about a week ago I discovered that EQ, Dynamics, Reverb and Echo - the whole DSP is not working (I didn't use EQ or Compressor on this unit before).
Visually everything looks good - knobs are moving, settings is changing, on/off FX indicator works etc. However there is absolutely no change to the sound even at extreme settings.
I searched for a solution all over the internet, but couldn't find any helpful info.
I used to have UCX II that had a hardware problems. That unit was replaced under warranty with this Fireface UFX III.

I am using Windows 10 (all latests updates)
UFX III Software version 7
UFX III Hardware Revision 20
Driver v0.9827
TotalMix v1.85

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2 (edited by TobyDSC 2024-01-06 22:13:23)

Re: [Solved] TotalMix FX DSP is not working

Good Evening,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the TotalMixFX software, so please forgive me if this isn't at an appropriate level, but here's a couple of thoughts:

1. If you are trying to record the FX, have you ticked the 'EQ & D for Record' box in the UFX settings screen?

2. Just to confirm the FX are not working, have you tried putting them on the main output so see if you can hear them there?

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Toby

TobyDSC wrote:

Good Evening,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the TotalMixFX software, so please forgive me if this isn't at an appropriate level, but here's a couple of thoughts:

1. If you are trying to record the FX, have you ticked the 'EQ & D for Record' box in the UFX settings screen?

2. Just to confirm the FX are not working, have you tried putting them on the main output so see if you can hear them there?

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Toby

Hi Toby! Your suggestion DOES help!! You've saved my day!! The problem was my luck of knowledge!! I never pay attention that there is setting for 'EQ & D for Record' in 'MADIface Series Settings'. I wrongly thought DSP on input is enabled by default. As soon as I put a check mark next to 'EQ & D for Record' the problem is gone. Now I can play with it and see if I can get any benefit out of using EQ and Dynamics on input. Thank you very much! Alex

4 (edited by ramses 2024-01-06 23:09:51)

EQ & D are active but only for monitoring purposes.
For example, to give a vocalist a bit of reverb for his headphone submix, some people need a comfortable reverb for singing.

Usually, everybody wants to record an unmodified signal 1s of all, to get the unmodified track recorded into DAW.
Post-processing typically comes later during mixing and mastering.

I would suggest recording the unprocessed input signals (the default) and recording the modified signals by using loopback recording. Route the signal to one or more outputs (submixes), enable loopback and record the modified signal on the corresponding input channel.

Therefore, it is good to always have a few channels more than needed to be able to use loopback recording in such situations.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Alex,

I'm very glad this helped!

I also agree with ramses above, although I have sometimes found it useful to record with a bit of low cut EQ to remove any useless ultra-low/high energy frequencies, and compressor settings to act as a failsafe limiter. Having said that, generally, recording at lower levels (assuming 24bit) makes this unnecessary.

Recording both signals via loopback is an interesting idea, thank you, ramses!

TobyDSC wrote:

Hi Alex,

I'm very glad this helped!

I also agree with ramses above, although I have sometimes found it useful to record with a bit of low cut EQ to remove any useless ultra-low/high energy frequencies, and compressor settings to act as a failsafe limiter. Having said that, generally, recording at lower levels (assuming 24bit) makes this unnecessary.

Recording both signals via loopback is an interesting idea, thank you, ramses!

Thank you for your suggestions! I also agree with you, Toby and with you Ramses - these are good recording techniques. I never  used EQ or Compressor on input signal, just wanted to give it a try and see if there would be any benefit of that. Normally I am recording a signal targetting approximately -18db average, -8db max. So far it appears to be working just fine. ...and yes, I am recording unmodified signal. Just want to experiment a bit and see what happens :-)

Hallo
Habe einen studiovocalisten an den bisher das Mikrofon angeschlossen ist!
Ich möchte jetzt da ich denke das es noch besser klingt an den mic Eingang des UCX 2 anschließen und dann zum vocalisten zurück!
Also das ucx 2 nutzen für Gesang!
Muss ich hinten einfach dann aus dem klingenausgang zum vocalisten zurück?
Lg Frank

8 (edited by waedi 2024-01-07 11:41:42)

Ja
Und vom Vocalist Ausgang auch beim UCX hinten rein
Was ist dieses Vocalst genau für ein Gerät Marke, Model ?
Hat es keinen digitalen Ein- und ausgang ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue