Topic: Always on?

Hello forum,

just curious: is there any issue in leaving an Adi2 DAC always on?

I've got another DAC (technically, it's a hybrid dac/streamer, it has an ethernet port) which is -conveniently- always on, and it stays "average warm" all the time, whether it's playing or not.
FYI, their tech support confirmed this is perfectly ok, they just advised to turn the display off when the unit is idle (I'm not sure the Adi2 can do this, though, I didn't check).

thanks,
MH

Re: Always on?

There’s no advantage in leaving ADI-2 always on.

KaiS wrote:

There’s no advantage

Is there any dis-advantage?
e.g. would the unit get hot?

Every element has certain lifespan. But on the other side some elements have certain garantied number of on/off. So, hard to say what is better.

For example I switch off RME and other gear when not used, but leave RME Digifase USB permanently on. But the reason for always on is that it does not remember settings when switched off and I want to use it standalone without using computer....

5 (edited by rawac 2024-01-08 20:50:52)

Kubrak wrote:

Every element has certain lifespan. But on the other side some elements have certain garantied number of on/off. So, hard to say what is better. ...

Lifetimes exceeding the number of actuations applies almost exclusively to mechanical components. In the ADi-2 Pro and DAC

• switches

• rotary control

• relays

should be mentioned. However, even simple designs typically last for over 100000 switching operations. If they were operated once an hour, 10 hours a day, that would be 27 years.

On the other hand, a very rough rule of thumb is that an increase of 10°K halves the service life, i.e. 20°K of warming is a quarter. Pretty clear: switch off.

Switching off is also more environmentally friendly, which is added on top.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

6 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-08 20:12:51)

m.holmes wrote:
KaiS wrote:

There’s no advantage

Is there any dis-advantage?
e.g. would the unit get hot?

“On”-temperature is ca. 15 °C higher than off.
There are few parts that are temperature sensitive, but their lifespan would be ca. 2.8 times lower.

Don’t ask for absolute figures, but ADI-2 is not very prone to this type of failure.

Mains power cost for 10 years non-stop idle run would be:
0.0085 kW x 24 h x 365 d x 10 y x 0.30 €/kWh = 223.68 €

This is just for this little device not consuming much, if you have some other stuff running all the time the figure adds up quite significantly soon.

I suggest a switched power strip for your whole system.

@rawac
It is not only mechanical parts that have On/Off limit. Otherwise LED bulbs would not state guarantied number of hours on and number of On/Offs.

On may make temporary voltage rise above right values. And so impose kind of ageing effect for certain electronical ellements. Mostly condensers, I guess. But not only those....

IMHO, it is better to switch off the expensive gear. Unless it is used for 15-20 hours a day.

Kubrak wrote:

@rawac
It is not only mechanical parts that have On/Off limit. Otherwise LED bulbs would not state guarantied number of hours on and number of On/Offs.

As far as I know, there is no bulb of any kind in the ADI-2 Pro or DAC. That's why it's pretty off topic, if anyone is interested anyway:

Bulbs with Edison-style filaments often died when they were switched on. That's why manufacturers write things like this, to convince customers to choose LEDs. Guaranteeing the number of LED switching cycles is easy because it has no significant influence on product lifetime. If you have any doubts about this: https://betterbuildingssolutioncenter.e … e_leds.pdf
and https://media.osram.info/media/img/osra … f_LEDs.pdf

Nevertheless, I am cautious and have intentionally used the word >almost<. wink

IMHO, it is better to switch off the unit. Unless the brake only lasts several minutes.

KaiS wrote:

I suggest a switched power strip for your whole system.

Affirmation.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

LED bulbs, it is just electronic. And it was just an example as producers of it do specify number of On/Off for them.

LED bulb that I have at hand has 30 000 hours of operation and 30 000 on/offs. If you have it in estate building and it is switched every time person passes, it dies sooner because of on/offs  count before 30 000 hours is reached.

Anyway, I do not trust those numbers much. Bulbs die much sooner. My guess is 10 000 hours at most. They mostly die in less than 3 years, still in guaranty period.

By the way, your first reference describes how the test is proceeded. The LED bulb is periodically switched on and off....