Topic: Talkback plays from main out when I cue another output

So when I press cue to hear what the talent listens I also get the talkback risking feedback. How do I solve this. I just bought a 802FS. Before I had a Firewire 400 and it was working as expected. When you cue the output the talkback singal was not included. What am I missing?

Thank you very much.

Re: Talkback plays from main out when I cue another output

Can you upload your TM FX Workspace? This might be a configuration issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hy0Ded … drive_link

This is the workspace. I am soo curious what it is... I thought I tried everything.

Thank you very much for your help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hy0Ded … sp=sharing

This is the link in case the other does not work.

5 (edited by ariskimon 2024-01-13 13:09:44)

I don't understand what is going on. I reset the totalmix mixer. The same thing is happening, when I cue the output that I sent to the musician, I also hear the talkback from the main speakers. How is this possible? This never was with the Firewire 400. Why would the talkback be designed to output in the main speakers? This can't be happening. Am I doing something wrong? Am I the only person that has this problem?

I did not fnd an error by testing, but you might not explain clear enough what exactly you are doing. A TotalMix reset is a good starting point:

- You send whatever playback signal (let's take 1/2) to Phones1 (the musician). You assigned MicX as Talkback input, that mic is in the control room with you. Is there a Listenback active/assigned (mic with musician)?

Now you click on Cue (Cue is assigned to Analog 1/2?) of any unused (no signal) output channel or Phones1, and hear the signal of Playback 1/2 plus your Talkback mic? This only happens here when Talkback is active at the same time - which then is as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello again,

Output 1-2 to Main studio monitors
Output 3-4 to musician
No Listenback
CUE assigned to (Output 1-2, Main studio monitors)

When I cue the (Output 3-4 to musician) and the Talkback is active then I can hear it (the Talkback) in the studio monitors.

That should not happen and if it happens by design it is a mistake. Very often in the studio, you need to CUE the mix you are sending to the talent, and talk to them at the same time as you negotiate changes in their mix. When you do, you are risking, by pressing the CUE and the Talkback, distractive feedback that can create havoc and damage to your studio. This can not be the expected design of the mixer. This is a mistake. A mistake that total mix FX didn't always make because with Firewire 400 and (Total mix FX version 1.60) this wasn't the case. If you pressed the CUE to listen to the musician's mix and wanted to talk to him/her at the same time, there wasn't a chance to burn your speakers, your ears and the nerves of your customers. This really needs to be fixed. When an engineer uses you software they need to feel secure, not doublecheck every time they press CUE if the talkback is ON in fear of distractive feedback and embarrassment.

Thanks, I finally understood the issue. Cue is supposed to make the processed channel audible, that means including all EQ and Dynamics. As such the Cue signal is taken right at the output, and will indeed include Talkback most of the times. We have this design for 15 years or so, and everyone else seems to not have an issue with that - we never got a report.

Some units allow to Cue without Talkback, but only when EQ is disabled in both Mains and the Cue channel, like UFX+, UFX II and UFX III. Your old FF400 and 800 did not have any (output) FX, there excluding Talkback was easy and not coupled to complicated DSP resource management.

That said a design that allows a separate handling of Talkback while Cueing is rather complicate in hardware and will most probably not come. We might prevent the simultaneous use of Talkback and Cue in upcoming versions of TM FX to make clear how it works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by ariskimon 2024-01-15 13:30:00)

Can you please at least make available (in the Fireface 802FS) to Cue without Talkback, when EQ is disabled in both Mains and the Cue channel, like in UFX+, UFX II and UFX III ?
You obviously found the need to do it on those models then why not not in the 802? That would be more than a good enough solution.