Topic: interface recommendation

hello,

not sure if this is the right place to post this.

im a current RME Babyface Pro user. it's been a solid interface. but, i need some more inputs and outputs. i'm on a bit of a budget.

i need 8 mic pre, 8 line ins, 2-hi-z if possible.  so ADAT w/ babyface pro won't be enough. i might add an analog console, and 500 series, in the future. not for now.

i use Windows 10, and have a custom built PC (i built it). i installed a firewire pci card a few months ago. this one: "Vantec UGT-FW210 2Plus1 Firewire 800/400 PCie Combo Host Card"

here is what i was wondering if i can get some advice:
- is it risky to get used older devices? for example, i found online used (reverb, ebay)
- fireface 802
- fireface 800
- digiface
-  multiface II

these are all very reasonable price. i could link them up with pres of my choosing. this is most economical.

alternative is: new digiface usb. i will get some warranty, but maybe its more expensive. moreso, there is no standalone mode.

standalone mode is not a requirement for me -- but it would be really nice. i have a boss rc-505 i would like to jam with sometimes, without computer on will be nice.

what do you think? are used older RME safe to buy (provided they were well cared for).

2 (edited by waedi 2024-01-16 04:58:34)

Re: interface recommendation

The Fireface 802 is the one I would take because it's a USB-interface and is the newest.
Buying used gear is never safe, but the RME units are very good and last long time usually.
The internal power supply can die one time but repair is no problem and cost around 160 Dollar / Euro.

A Digiface USB plus 4 Behringer Ada8200 is probably the cheapest solution to get the most analog inputs and outputs.
32 Mic / line inputs and 32 line outputs.

The Multiface ll is not Firewire and not USB, it needs his own PCI card, same for the Digiface if it's not a Digiface USB.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2024-01-16 08:21:28)

If you want the quality of the 500 series in the future, then it makes IMHO no sense to connect such a device analogue to an ADA8200, then better through ADAT.

In this case a recording interface with at minimum two ADAT ports would be the best so that you have the option for recording in double speed or having one ADAT port free for other purposes.

AFAIR there is one company for 500 series lunch box with ADAT, but it is expensive.
https://www.thomann.de/de/cranborne_audio_500adat.htm
Possibly other companies also offer such lunch boxes with ADAT, but I don't know and have no time to search.

As an alternative to a Digiface USB + 8200 combination, you could also consider a RayDAT PCIe card (full digital card) which offers more types of I/O ports which you might need in a home or project studio.
Like e.g. MIDI, SPDIF, AES and word clock. Especially word clock is important should you buy a higher quality preamp as ADA8200 which has no digital input which could be used for clock synch and if you want to keep the RME device as clock master.

An 802 could be a nice choice, offering also a nice mix of I/O for a home/project studio as well as better quality mic preamps and ports for AD/DA including 2x ADAT I/O.
The only thing which I, personally, dislike is, that the four mic ports cannot be digitally controlled, the gain settings can't be stored in TM FX snapshots. Tastes differ … but maybe you are the kind of guy who thinks more analogue, liking the knobs.

I am not sure whether I would go for such a lunch box setup. Before spending a lot of money, you could also think about getting an UFX III. If you need more Mic inputs, you could get one ADA8200 temporarily and then save money for a 12Mic or other higher quality preamp, if you need more channels. The UFX III has an excellent analogue section and the converter of the ADI-2 Pro reference converter. This way, you would even have a more compact and even transportable solution.

And - as you mentioned standalone mode - the UFX III can be operated at the display.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

My experience with used RME devices is good. I have FF UC, UCX, 802, Octamic-D and Octamic II. So far no problems. I couldn't afford to buy new ones... Generally, anything may break here and there, but RME is not fancy toy and is built for proffesional use. So, secondhand from decent user is not much risky....

The only brand new RME I have is Digiface USB. It may even be used "standalone" if it is plugged to powered USB hub and is kept on all the time... I do use it so.

5 (edited by jaguarguitar 2024-01-17 06:48:58)

hi everyone,

thanks for your advice! much appreciate it.

- the UFXIII is nice but too expensive for me.
- cranborne - ah yes - i read about it alot. problem is you can't use it without 500 series preamps (unless using that 8 ins as line level). it would be okay with an ADA 8200 in short term, but then kind of defeats the point of it. to buy 8 preamps and cranborne will be expensive.
- 802 pres not digitally controlled through total mix? what? that is very strange!!!

- yeah im leaning towards a used device, i would like to save some $ if possible right now.

Kubrak did you buy your gear, all used? also by standalone - meaning with computer powered off but just the usb port having power, like that? will it retain totalmix routing and settings?

also for digiface - how do you connect it to your studio speakers? did you buy a separate device connecting over adat for that?

Yes, I bought all, but Digiface USB, used. The last one yesterday, it came from studio, not used much.

Yes, speaking about Digiface USB "standalone" mode, I mean following. DF is connected to computer using powered USB hub. You setup DF using TotalMix. After powering down computer, DF powered by USB hub (maybe that powered USB port of switched off computer would work as well, I haven't tried) still works and maintains settings.

I use DF as electronic patchbay for my interfaces and digital effects. So I like it is possible to use it also without computer on. It is not as good as real standalone, but it is workable. It is a pity DF cannot remember the setting, or at least it is not by default set so that inputs are routed to corresponding outputs....

Concerning FF 802. Atenuation of mic preamps is set by HW knobs (and not stored in TM). Beside that TM allows small atenuation on all inpusts and it is stored in snapshots. And of course all the faders in TM work and one may store them in snapshot.

So, the only thing that is purely HW controlled is setting of gain for four mics/instruments.

I also have more than 20 years old Eventide Eclipse. Also Pro gear like RME and no problem. Those things are built to work reliably for long years. That is partly why they cost much more than consumer's ones.... Better design, best electronic elements available... It costs....

My setup is like this.

analog in
      I
      v
Octamic II     PROC1    PROC2       speakers & phones
^       I               ^          ^                    ^
I        I                I           I                     I
IWC   I ADAT       I  ADAT  I                     I analog
I        v               v           v                     I
FF 802  <----> Digiface USB <-----> FF UCX <---- analog in
^     ^                     ^                          ^
I      I                     I     USB                 I
I      I                     v                            I
I      I----------->computer <-------------I
I
analog in

I may switch FF UCX on and PROC1, PROC2 and route audio signal from UCX to effect units PROC1, PROC2 and back to UCX and speakers & phones. And no need for computer.... DF USB is properly set beferehand an powered using USB hub all the time. No need to switch computer for days.... I may switch on UCX and effects (if desired) and instantly play.

Just one note, if you are on Win. Digiface USB uses different audio driver than Fireface, so you may use one or other in DAW.

I guess, you could use phone output of Digiface USB to connect speakers. But it would not be ballanced connection, if hat matters. And no phones in that case.