1 (edited by ninjasan 2023-11-25 17:36:50)

Topic: Trouble playing DSD files

Hello all,
I'm in trouble every time I try to play DSD file:
Every time I try to play a DSD file, I get the "DC current alert in line output" and Adi 2 DAC Fs mutes the output.
DCP is always set on "Filter"
Line Output is fixed volume, ref level +13dbu, Volume -4.5db (2 volts)

I use Foobar 2000, RME Asio output driver and SACD plug-in.

Anyone has the same problem with Foobar?
Or do you know the proper settings to be applied in Foobar for playing DSD files?
I tried a lot of different but no success...

Warning, English is not my natural language.

Re: Trouble playing DSD files

I regularly play DSD files using a raspberry pi over USB into ADI-2 Pro FS R BE using Rune software on the pi, it all works fine. I’d give something like this a try. It works using DoP and direct DSD although I can’t hear any difference.

Be careful with DSD direct as you will need a pre amp or some attenuation between the RME and power amp to control the volume.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-11-25 18:08:22)

ninjasan wrote:

Every time I try to play a DSD file, I get the "DC current alert in line output" and Adi 2 DAC Fs mutes the output.
DCP is always set on "Filter"

The DC Filter is not active with DSD, just the protective muting.

Setting ADI-2’s Dig. DC Protection: “OFF” can partly deactivate DC protection, you just get the warning screen, but no muting.
Headphones outs still have the hardware DC protection active.

This is only advisable if the connected amplifier has a DC filter built in -
tube amps e.g. are always AC-coupled and don’t care about DC input.

Positively make sure this is the case.
Else you will fry speakers or ‘phones sooner or later.

Thank you for your replies,
II was curious to try some DSD audio files regarding audio quality.
Then I will switch DC protection ON again,

You can easily see the DC components in the Spectral Analyzer screen. If DC protection comes on then the left band will be quite high. If that happens all the time then the SACD PlugIn might render incorrectly. Try a different player to check that and compare. There are many DSD files with higher DC though, but usual not that high that they trigger the warning.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
thank you for your replie,
I tried a few other settings:

Foobar - Asio Madiface USB device - passes bitperfect RME wav test - DSD playing = DC alert muting
Foobar - ASIO + DSD Madiface USB device - passes bitperfect RME wav test - DSD playing = DC alert muting
Foobar - ASIO: DSD transcoder (Dop native) device - passes bitperfect RME wav test - DSD playing OK
Foobar - ASIO + DSD: DSD transcoder (Dop native) device - passes bitperfect RME wav test - DSD playing OK
Daphile system (claims bitperfect playback for all files)- passes bitperfect RME wav test - DSD playing OK

Considering bit perfect test passed OK, is there anything wrong with using another device driver than ASIO madiface output ?

And sorry, another question please:
If my system passes RME bitperfect wav test ,
does it mean bitperfect certified only for Wav files or should I consider it OK for all files type ?

thank you,
Christophe

For what it’s worth, I have one dsd album of dff files and am using the same Foobar configuration you are, and I also receive DC fault and cutouts. The display was on the DAC is blue. If i switch the SACD component to DoP (or is it PCM?) mode (display is cyan) I no longer get cutouts.

8 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-17 08:51:36)

ninjasan wrote:

…If my system passes RME bitperfect wav test ,
does it mean bitperfect certified only for Wav files or should I consider it OK for all files type ?

RME Bit Test checks the whole signal path for integrity:

Player software, OS settings, driver, interconnection / cable.

If Bit Test passes OK, one can assume that other filetypes are playing OK too, if the player software handles them correctly.

To check that, you could convert the Bit Test files into the (lossless) audio format you want to use, and run Bit Test with those.

antagron wrote:

For what it’s worth, I have one dsd album of dff files and am using the same Foobar configuration you are, and I also receive DC fault and cutouts. The display was on the DAC is blue. If i switch the SACD component to DoP (or is it PCM?) mode (display is cyan) I no longer get cutouts.

That sound logical. DSD (blue) does not allow any processing, so the optional DC filters and warnings of the ADI are inactive. You should still be able to see the high DC in the Spectral Analyzer, on the front display.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
antagron wrote:

That sound logical. DSD (blue) does not allow any processing, so the optional DC filters and warnings of the ADI are inactive. You should still be able to see the high DC in the Spectral Analyzer, on the front display.

I don’t know if this album is typical, but assuming so, Does this make DSD, and especially DSD Direct effectively useless?